University Proctor

The Proctor is the primary reference point for all matters relating to student non-academic misconduct.

What does the Proctor do?

  • The Proctor is the primary reference point in the University for all matters relating to student non-academic misconduct, including complaints against students, or disputes between students.
  • The Proctor assesses disputes between students or complaints about student conduct and can recommend or determine the appropriate next steps, which may include referral to an external mediator or disciplinary procedures.
  • The Proctor is a contact person for students who are concerned about bullying and harassment.
  • The Proctor can advise students about where they should take any concerns about academic matters or about issues with members of staff.
  • The Proctor can advise staff (eg, Deans and Heads of Department) about how to handle disputes or complaints involving students.
  • The Proctor convenes a group of University experts who assess and assist in handling student behaviour which may present a risk to students, staff or university activities.
  • The Proctor can advise anyone in the University about student conduct and dispute policies.

What doesn’t the Proctor do?

The Proctor does not handle matters relating solely to academic complaints or disputes (eg, disputing grades) or academic misconduct (eg, cheating).
However, the Proctor can provide advice about the policies and procedures in these areas.

Who can contact the Proctor?

Both students and staff can contact the Proctor about a (non-academic) issue of student conduct.

How do I contact the Proctor?

When should I contact the Proctor?

You should contact the Proctor if:

  • The behaviour of another student causes you concern, particularly if you perceive them as bullying, threatening, intimidating or acting unfairly towards you.
  • You feel victimised or threatened by the actions of another student.
  • You do not know who to talk to about a dispute or problem with a member of staff.

Staff can contact the Proctor if they need advice about how to handle a complaint or dispute involving a student, or are concerned about the behaviour of a student.

Report an incident

Any member of the University community can report an incident involving a student. You are able to report student disputes or non-academic misconduct relating to a student anonymously if you wish.

Can I make an anonymous report or complaint?

You can make an anonymous report/complaint or ask the Proctor to keep your complaint anonymous but this can limit what actions the Proctor is able to take because of natural justice considerations.  If the information you provide is incomplete and/or anonymous it may mean the matter cannot be pursued or that needed services or support cannot be offered.

If you want to make an anonymous complaint to an external entity, you can use the whistleblower hotline to report suspected unethical misconduct, including fraud, corruption, harassment or bullying. They will send the anonymous report to the University. There is a limit to what action the University may be able to take if the report is fully anonymous and there is no way to contact the individual making the report.

Who else can I talk to?

  • If you consider that there is any immediate threat or danger, you should contact the police. Phone 111 for an emergency. If you are on campus you can contact Campus Security on 0800 373 7550 (or 966 from an internal phone).
  • If you are not in immediate danger but wish to contact the police, call 105 or phone/visit your nearest police station.
  • If you (or another student) are emotionally distressed or in need of support, you can contact Counselling services.
  • You can contact AUSA Advocacy for support and assistance in any matter.
  • If you are concerned about some aspect of your academic studies, you can contact the teaching staff responsible, particularly the Course Convenor, or the Academic Head (head of school or department). Class Representatives can also help you with this.
  • If you have a concern about your enrolment or decisions about admission or credit, you should contact your faculty student centre.
  • If you are a resident in University accommodation, you can contact a Resident Advisor or member of the Accommodation management team.
  • If you are experiencing abuse or violence by someone close to you, such as a partner, family member or flatmate, the University can provide support. Read more at Family violence: It's not OK

If you feel distressed and need immediate assistance, please reach out for help.

You can get help in a number of ways:

  • Talk to a trusted friend or family member
  • For immediate assistance via text or phone, contact 1737, a free 24/7 counselling service
  • For immediate assistance via chat or phone, contact Safe to Talk, a free 24/7 help service specialising in sexual harm
  • For assistance with online bullying, harassment and discrimination call Netsafe on 0508 638 723
  • If it is not urgent, but you would like to talk to a University health professional in the future, you can contact the University Health & Counselling Service to make an appointment