Under 18 international students

If you are an under 18 when you enter the University of Auckland, please read the following information so you are aware of the obligations that apply to you.

It is important that your parents or legal guardian also read this information.

Important forms

If you have accepted an offer of place to study at the University of Auckland, and you will be under 18 on the first day of semester, please email the International Student Support Team at int-questions@auckland.ac.nz to introduce yourself. One of our International Student Advisers will send you several forms to complete and return to us before you apply for your student visa and begin your studies.

On these forms you will be required to indicate where you will be living during your studies. Please see your Accommodation options below. If you are unsure about your accommodation, please contact the Accommodation Solutions Service for assistance. Once we have received the completed forms, we will email you two letters you will need for your student visa application.

Meetings with an international student adviser

Safety and support for students is a top priority for the University. While you are under 18 you will be required to meet with an International Student Adviser regularly to discuss your well-being. The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 is adhered to by the University, therefore non-attendance at these meetings may impact on your enrolment.  

The International Student Advisers look forward to meeting with you and are available for any questions you might have. Contact them by phone or email: International Student Advisers.


As you will be under 18 years old when you start at the University of Auckland, the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students states you must live in one of the following kinds of accommodation:

  • A homestay
  • A University Hall of Residence
  • With a Designated Caregiver
  • With your parent/s

You may not live in any other type of accommodation while you are under 18 and all accommodation is subject to the approval of the University of Auckland.

A Designated Caregiver must be a relative or a close family friend. If your parent would like you to live with a designated caregiver, your parent must sign an indemnity document. Once you let us know where you will be living, this will be emailed to you.

If you will be living with a Homestay, Parent or Designated Caregiver, an International Student Adviser will visit your accommodation to ensure it is suitable; and we will require NZ Police Certificates for all people over 18 residing at that address. The International Student Adviser will discuss this further with you.

For more information about living on campus, see our University Accommodation options.

Recommendations for University success

  • Orientation events are held the week prior to semester. It’s a chance for you to get familiar with where everything is, be introduced to your programme of study, meet other students, join clubs, and attend social events. Attending Orientation events is the way to help you get off to the best start possible.  
  • Get involved on campus. Not all learning takes place in the classroom, labs or lecture theatres; it’s important that you engage in wider campus activities. There are a variety of clubs, societies, and communities to get connected with to complement your University experience.
  • International Student Advisers are happy to answer any questions and link you in with other services on campus. There are many Support Services in the University and they can help you with many things including academic skills, degree planning, and counselling.

Please feel free to contact us directly should you have any questions about these processes or other aspects of being an under 18 international student at the University of Auckland.

Email: int-questions@auckland.ac.nz