Domestic applicants and English language requirements

If you're a domestic applicant, you will generally be considered proficient in English. 

You are under the age of 20 with successful English language study

If you are a domestic applicant under 20 years old and your first language is not English, you may be asked to provide evidence of your competence in written and spoken English. 

As a domestic applicant, you may meet the English language requirements if you met University Entrance through: 

  • National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA)
  • Cambridge Assessment International Education (Cambridge International) taken in New Zealand*
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) taken in New Zealand

*Formerly known as University of Cambridge International Examinations (CIE). 

If you do not meet the English language requirements through your secondary schooling, you will need to provide, as a replacement for your literacy requirement: 

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Test of English Foreign Language (TOFEL)
  • Other alternatives

You are 20 years or older

If you're 20 years or older and a domestic student, you will be considered as proficient in English. 

Please note that there are some programmes that may still require evidence of English language proficiency. You will be advised of this requirement if you need to submit evidence. 

Domestic versus international

For more information about the difference between domestic and international statuses, please visit Domestic versus international.

For more information