Before you arrive in New Zealand to begin your studies at the University of Auckland, you need a valid passport and a student visa.
What is a student visa?
A student visa is an endorsement in your passport that allows you to enter New Zealand.
Applying for a student visa in New Zealand
How do I apply for a student visa from overseas?
- New Zealand Immigration advises international students to obtain their student visa before they arrive in New Zealand.
- After you receive your offer of place from the University of Auckland, apply immediately for your student visa by contacting your nearest New Zealand Embassy or Consulate.
- Immigration New Zealand provides specific details of all documentation required for a student visa on the application form. You can download it from Immigration New Zealand.
Applying as a Study Abroad student (Certificate of Proficiency for Overseas)
- Study Abroad students must apply for a fee paying student visa once you receive your offer of place from the University. Your offer letter should indicate your programme as Certificate of Proficiency for Overseas (COPOS).
Applying as an Exchange student (Certificate of Proficiency for Exchange)
- Exchange students must apply for an exchange student visa once you have received your offer of place from the University. You must be nominated for exchange from one of our approved exchange partners and your offer letter should indicate your programme as Certificate of Proficiency for Exchange (COPEX).
- You must be able to support yourself financially for the duration of your stay.
See full visa requirements at Immigration New Zealand.