Doctoral programmes for international students
Find out about completing a PhD at the University of Auckland.
No international fees for PhD students*: NZ$6,832.80 per annum (approximately US$4,900** per annum) in 2017.
We are New Zealand’s leading research-led university. We’re ranked among the top 100 universities in the world by the QS World University Rankings (2016/2017). We offer PhD studies in nearly 100 subjects.
For a complete list of subjects, see PhD - Subject Area Policy.
The University of Auckland has earned a global reputation for academic excellence and a supportive student environment. Our outstanding supervisors give you the freedom and encouragement to develop your ideas in a supportive, inspiring environment.
You will have access to excellent research facilities and the library’s extensive resources. You can count on the support of student services including:
- The School of Graduate Studies
- International Student Support Team
- Postgraduate Students’ Association
- Career Development and Employment Services
Enjoy the Auckland lifestyle, which is ranked third in the world in the 2016 Mercer Quality of Living Rankings.
Most importantly, you will publish research and gain a qualification that can stand with the best in the world, making you proud to say that you studied at the University of Auckland.
Other benefits for international PhD students are:
- Your dependent children are classified as domestic students and can attend New Zealand’s primary and secondary schools at the same subsidised rate as New Zealand children.
- Your spouse/ partner is eligible for an open work permit valid for the duration of your PhD programme.
- As a PhD student you have unlimited work rights under the terms of your student visa.
- On completion of your PhD, you can apply for a 12-month Post-study work visa (open) through Immigration New Zealand to allow you to search for employment. If you are able to find a suitable job in your chosen field, you may then apply for a two-year Post-study work visa (employer assisted).
*A New Zealand government funding scheme enables the University of Auckland to offer PhD study to international students for the same tuition fees as New Zealand PhD students. To be eligible, students must reside in New Zealand for the duration of their doctoral programme. However, students may undertake research activities and conferences overseas during their doctoral programme for a cumulative total of no more than 12 months.
**Exchange rate at 1 March 2017: NZ$1.00 = US$0.7175.
How doctoral programmes are structured
Information about doctoral study at the University.
Find out about tuition fees to complete a PhD at the University of Auckland.
Find out more about entry requirements to study a PhD at the University of Auckland.
How to apply for a doctorate
Information about the steps involved in applying for a doctorate at the University of Auckland.
Check what scholarships are available for international PhD students.
Our catered and self-catered residences offer you quality living facilities and a great lifestyle while you are studying.
Leading research and innovation
See how our high-quality research is changing lives and making breakthroughs.
Meet our academics
Listen to interviews with a range of academic staff.
Specialised support for international students
Find out about the extra support available to international students including English language support.