University of Auckland Academic Potential Scholarships
This scholarship is awarded to students who have achieved academically, but are experiencing hardships or who may have been disadvantaged due to their personal circumstances.
The Scholarship is payable over three years. Awards are made in three different tiers, and our review committee determines which tier a successful applicant will be awarded under.
All you need to do is make a single application — if you are successful, the University will decide what tier of award you will receive.
- One year of catered accommodation in a University of Auckland Waipapa Taumata Rau Hall of Residence plus $4,000 paid in four lump sums over the second and third years
- $10,000 payable over three years
- $6,000 payable over three years
Our accommodation teams understand that transitioning from secondary school or kura to University can be an overwhelming experience, which is why all our first-year halls offer a safe and supportive environment to guide you through the first year.
You will need to complete a separate application to Accommodation for either Grafton Hall, O'Rorke Hall, University Hall - Towers or Waipārūrū Hall.
Each Hall offers catering, your own room, a range of activities and events, academic mentoring programmes and pastoral care.
Other benefitsAs part of your accommodation you get free membership to the University Recreation facilities on the City Campus, including access to a wide range of group fitness classes, weights and cardio equipment.
Am I eligible to apply for this scholarship?
You are eligible to apply if you are:
- a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand
- currently enrolled in your final year of study at a New Zealand secondary school or kura; or currently enrolled in an approved University of Auckland Waipapa Taumata Rau pathway programme*
- intending to enrol in an undergraduate degree at the University of Auckland Waipapa Taumata Rau in the following year.
The Scholarship takes into account a number of factors that can impact on an individual’s ability to participate at university. These include:
- Whether you have proven financial need
- If you have attended a lower-decile school
- If you are from a refugee background
- If you have a disability
- If you are from a rural area
- If you are the first in your immediate family to attend university
If you are studying for one of the following University of Auckland Waipapa Taumata Rau pathway programmes you will need to have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.50 or higher, to apply for this scholarship:
- Certificate of Health Sciences
- Tertiary Foundation Certificate
How do I apply?
Scholarship applications are made via our online application system Community Force. You will also need to apply for accommodation via the Accommodation Portal.
To access Community Force and the Accommodation Portal, you will need to have applied for admission to the University of Auckland Waipapa Taumata Rau for Semester One 2023.
Once you have applied for admission, you will be able to apply for either of the Scholarships.
You can apply for the the University of Auckland Academic Potential Scholarship - School Leavers in the same form as the University of Auckland Top Achiever Scholarship, the University of Auckland Māori Academic Excellence Scholarship and the University of Auckland Pacific Academic Excellence Scholarship.
Applications for the University of Auckland Academic Potential Scholarship - Pathway Programme Students have their own online form.
When you are ready, you can click on the applicable blue “Apply here” button below.
What will I be asked in the application form?
In the application form you will complete a variety of sections containing questions relevant to the scholarship you are applying for.
You will be asked to confirm your personal details and recent education background, including whether you are enrolled in NCEA, CIE, IB or another qualification, or in a pathway programme.
Remember to save your application as you go, and once all sections are 100% completed you can submit your application.
Applications for 2023 are now open and will close at 5pm on Wednesday 24 August 2022.