University of Auckland Top Achiever Scholarships
Awarded to exceptional students, who have excellent academic achievement and demonstrated leadership potential.
One year of catered accommodation in a University of Auckland Waipapa Taumata Rau Hall of Residence plus $4,000 paid in two lump sums in Semester One and Two.
Our accommodation teams understand that transitioning from secondary school or kura to University can be an overwhelming experience, which is why all our first-year halls offer a safe and supportive environment to guide you through the first year.
You will need to complete a separate application to Accommodation for either Grafton Hall, O'Rorke Hall, University Hall - Towers or Waipārūrū Hall.
Each Hall offers catering, your own room, a range of activities and events, academic mentoring programmes and pastoral care.
As part of your accommodation you get free membership to the University Recreation facilities on the City Campus, including access to a wide range of group fitness classes, weights and cardio equipment.
Am I eligible to apply for this scholarship?
You are eligible to apply if you are:
- a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand
- currently enrolled in your final year at a New Zealand secondary school or kura
- intending to enrol full-time in a degree at the University of Auckland Waipapa Taumata Rau in the following year
- Māori and Pacific candidates intending to enrol in a Certificate of Health Sciences at the University of Auckland Waipapa Taumata Rau may also be considered for the Scholarship
Assessment criteria includes:
- The number of Excellence credits you attained at NCEA Level 2 or 3 last year, or your CIE average from last year, or your predicted score for IB for this year
- Whether you competed in the finals of academic, sporting or arts competitions
- Whether you held senior leadership positions at school
- If you have been awarded a community-based honour
- If you have been selected by an outside agency or trust to attend leadership training or personal development programme
- If you have provided academic mentoring to other students
The University of Auckland Waipapa Taumata Rau is a committed to providing a safe, inclusive and equitable study environment for all students who have the potential to succeed in a university of high international standing.
The Top Achiever Scholarship acknowledges that some talented students may face barriers to entry and takes into account if you:
- have demonstrated financial need;
- are the first in your family to attend university;
- are from a refugee background;
- have a disability; or
- if you live in a rural area
The University also has a rigorous process for reviewing all applications, and ensuring scholarship recipients are drawn from secondary schools across New Zealand.
How do I apply?
Scholarship applications are made via our online application system Community Force. You will also need to apply for accommodation via the Accommodation Portal.
To access Community Force and the Accommodation Portal, you will need to have applied for admission to the University of Auckland Waipapa Taumata Rau for Semester One 2023.
Once you have applied for admission, you will be able to apply for the University of Auckland Top Achiever Scholarship. You can also apply for the University of Auckland Māori Academic Excellence Scholarship, the University of Auckland Pacific Academic Excellence Scholarship and the University of Auckland Academic Potential Scholarship - School Leavers in the same form.
When you are ready, click on the blue "Apply here" button below.
What will I be asked in the application form?
In the application form you will complete a variety of sections containing questions relevant to the scholarship you are applying for.
You will be asked to confirm your personal details and recent education background, including whether you are enrolled in NCEA, CIE, IB or another qualification.
Remember to save your application as you go, and once all sections are 100% completed you can submit your application.
Applications for 2023 are now closed.