Summer in Auckland
Here’s just a taste of some of the things you could try out while in Auckland for your Summer Research Scholarship.
Be a part of the summer scholar community
The University of Auckland has a unique vibe over the summer months. As a summer research scholar you’ll be part of a community of other students on summer scholarships (around 500), students taking Summer School courses and students and academics visiting from around the world.
Things to do
- Try surfing, paddleboarding, sailing or kayaking. On land, you could try bungee jumping, canyoning, rock climbing, laser tag or paintball.
- With markets, op-shops, shopping malls, shopping districts and designer stores, Aucklandoffers shopping from boutique to budget.
- See some of New Zealand’s wildlife up close at the Muriwai gannet colony, the island sanctuaries of Tiritiri Matangi and Rotoroa Islands or snorkel or take a glass-bottom boat tour at Goat Island Marine Reserve.
- Visit the many galleries, museums and theatres on offer - take in a performance or concert.
- Enjoy al fresco dining at one of Auckland’s many cafés, restaurants or wineries; or take a picnic to Albert Park or the Domain – both a short walk from the City and Grafton Campuses.
- ASB Classic Open – international tennis just a short walk from the City Campus
- Free outdoor movies at Silo Cinema
- Music in the Parks – free jazz, rock, hip-hop, dub, pop concerts in parks and reserves across Auckland
- St Jerome’s Laneway Festival
- Food and wine festivals
- Auckland Pride Festival