Bachelor of Science (BSc) specialising in Data Science
A Data Science specialisation will provide initial preparation for students wishing topursue a career in this area. It brings together courses from Computer Science, Statistics and Mathematics to provide a strong, coherent background in the field.
In your first year, you'll study the foundation courses in Statistics, Computer Science and Mathematics, with introductions to data analysis and probability, the principles of programming and data structures.
The second year will introduce data technologies and algorithmics, as well as Statistics courses covering theory and applications. The final year covers statistical modelling, statistical computing, applied algorithmics, database systems and artificial intelligence.
From 2019 your Bachelor of Science in Data Science will consist of a number of courses worth 15 points each, totalling 360 points.
You must complete the following courses plus a capstone course in your final year of study. The capstone course is a student-led project where you integrate and apply your learning to a real-world problem in your chosen major or specialisation. For Data Science we recommend one of these capstone courses: DATASCI 399, COMPSCI 399 or STATS 399.
For other capstone options, see our Capstone courses page.
- COMPSCI 120 Mathematics for Computer Science
- COMPSCI 130 Introduction to Software Fundamentals
- STATS 101 Introduction to Statistics
- STATS 125 Probability and its Applications
15 points from:
- COMPSCI 220 Algorithms and Data Structures
- COMPSCI 225 Discrete Structures in Mathematics and Computer Science
- MATHS 208 General Mathematics 2 or MATHS 250 Advancing Mathematics 2
- STATS 201 Data Analysis
- STATS 210 Statistical Theory or STATS 225 Mathematical Statistics
- STATS 220 Data Technologies
- COMPSCI 320 Applied Algorithmics
- COMPSCI 351 Fundamentals of Database Systems
- COMPSCI 367 Artificial Intelligence or COMPSCI 361 Introduction to Machine Learning
- STATS 330 Statistical Modelling
- STATS 369 Data Science Practice
- STATS 380 Statistical Computing
15 points from:
Preparing for your Data Science specialisation
Some students will feel more prepared for our Data Science courses if they have already studied certain subjects in high school.
Find out which school subjects will help you feel prepared by reading our Subject guide for school students.
If you began your degree prior to 2019 we recommend you seek advice to make sure you are taking the correct courses. Contact the Science Student Centre at email@example.com.
Help and advice
For further information and advice, please contact the Science Student Centre.
Science Student Centre
Level G, Room G 20
(beside the entrance to the Large Chemistry Lecture Theatre)
23 Symonds Street
Phone: +64 9 923 7020