Doctoral study in Development Studies
Why study with us?
We were placed in the top 100 in the world for Development Studies in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020.
As a doctoral candidate, you'll benefit from: financial support for research expenses through PReSS funding; high-calibre supervision practices; and the networks and expertise of our world-class academic researchers.
We welcome PhD research proposals in areas such as:
- Community-driven development
- Gender, health and education
- Migration and displacement
- Land policies and land grabbing
- Climate adaptation and mitigation
- Post-disaster response and recovery
- Tourism and development
We look forward to your contribution to the intellectual life and research profile of Development Studies.
A tight-knit team of high-calibre researchers work in Development Studies at the University of Auckland.
Current research topics
- "Land exclusions, livelihood transitions and gendered responses in Cambodia" | Supervised by Professor Andreas Neef and Associate Professor Yvonne Underhill-Sem
- "Policy space, climate change and migration: The case of the Cook Islands" | Supervised by Associate Professor Yvonne Underhill-Sem
- "Understanding local environmental governance: The case of wildlife refuges in Taiwan" | Supervised by Professor Andreas Neef and Dr Jesse Hession Grayman
- "Inscriptional practices and social formations of development in East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia" | Supervised by Dr Jesse Hession Grayman and Dr Mark Busse
- "Intersection of foreign trade and development assistance: New Zealand’s engagement in Thailand's and Sri Lanka's dairy sector" | Supervised by Professor Andreas Neef and Dr Jesse Hession Grayman
Scholarships and awards
There are several scholarships you may be eligible for when you decide to pursue your PhD in Development Studies:
Help and advice
Our friendly staff will provide you with advice on enrolling in your PhD at Student Hubs.
If you would like to discuss your plans for your doctoral research you can contact our PhD Adviser.