Undergraduate study in Electrical and Electronic Engineering

What can you study in Electrical and Electronic Engineering?

The Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering aims to ensure the reliability and sustainability of upcoming generations of electricity transmission, industrial automation, communication infrastructure and electric vehicles. The programme is designed to cover the discipline’s foundations so that graduates are able to adapt to its rapid pace of change, and fulfill the need for professionals in an increasingly broad range of industries.

As you undertake this specialisation in the second year of your BE(Hons), you’ll be exposed to essential skills in electrical materials and electronic devices, circuit theory, software design and mathematical modelling tools. You will also be introduced to engineering electromagnetics and computer systems, and learn to examine how engineers communicate technical and complex material. Other major topics, some of which are delivered in extensive elective courses, include:

  • Communications and information systems, including between humans and automated devices
  • Power electronics and the development of devices for a wide range of applications in power systems and automation, including a focus on the challenges of inductive power transfer
  • Power systems and control, which covers electricity and electronic circuitry
  • Robotics and signal processing, with exposure to complex systems and processing algorithms such as vision and navigation

All our BE(Hons) specialisations are accredited by Engineering NZ, so your qualification will be recognised in many countries.


All students take a similar set of courses throughout their first year of a BE(Hons). Find out more about the compulsory degree components.

You can get in-depth information about our undergraduate courses in Electrical and Electronic Engineering with the Faculty of Engineering Course Viewer.

Help and advice

For general student enquiries, please contact the Student Hubs.

If you would like further academic information, you can contact an Undergraduate Course Adviser.