Undergraduate study in Latin

What you can study in Latin

By studying Latin you not only learn the language, but also how to analyse and describe language. You will learn to read Roman literature and understand Roman culture.

Beginners can learn Latin from scratch. At Stage I there is a brisk programme of language learning before you embark on the study of literature and intermediate language at Stage II.

Beginning your study in Latin

If you have done some Latin, but not a full five-year secondary school programme, consult the Undergraduate Adviser about where you ought to begin. Some students begin with LATIN 101 (this may be the correct route if you have Latin at NCEA Level 1).

If you have 16 credits at NCEA Level 3 or equivalent, you will begin at Stage II. You should be well equipped to get good grades. You will be prompted to complete a concession online during enrolment.

Structuring your major in Latin

If you are beginning a BA in 2018

You can take a major in Latin as one of your two BA majors (a double major). You will need to pass at least 120 points (eight courses) towards each of your majors, including at least 45 points (three courses) at Stage III.

If you first enrolled in a BA prior to 2018

For a single major you must pass at least 135 points, including at least 60 points above Stage II.

For a double major you must pass at least 120 points in each of two majors, including at least 45 points above Stage II in each major.

For a BA minor you must pass at least 90 points, including at least 60 points above Stage I.

How to choose your courses

You can choose your courses from those listed in the BA schedule for Latin. You must also meet any specific requirements indicated in the schedule.

2018 BA schedule for Latin


Explore the undergraduate courses you can take as part of a major in Latin:

Scholarships and awards

Help and advice

For help with planning your degree and enrolling in your courses, please contact the Arts Students' Centre.

If you would like to find out more about studying Latin, you can contact our Undergraduate Adviser.