Undergraduate study in Mathematics Education
What can you study in Mathematics Education?
You can complete a Bachelor of Education (Teaching) – with specialisations in either Early Childhood Education, Primary or Huarahi Māori – offering core courses in teaching Mathematics and Statistics. Alternatively, you can complete a Bachelor of Science with courses in Mathematics Education.
Areas of study include:
- Mathematics in the curriculum
- Mathematics in the early years
- Primary mathematics and statistics
- Māori-medium teaching of pāngarau (numeracy and mathematics)
- Helping children succeed in mathematics
- Theoretical models of teaching, learning and assessment
- Developing classroom mathematics programmes
- Investigating children’s strategies for solving mathematical problems
- Mathematical literacy for lower-achieving students
- Teaching mathematics through investigation
Scholarships and awards
Each year we award scholarships and prizes to thousands of students. Some are specific to Mathematics Education.
Find out about the scholarships you may be eligible for, search available scholarships or begin an application by visiting Scholarships and awards.
TeachNZ (Ministry of Education) scholarships are targeted at priority areas such as Mathematics Education.