Mathematics Fundamentals NSMAT 10
This is a short, intensive course taught on Saturdays in a workshop environment. Most of the time you'll be working together collaboratively, either as a class or in groups, but sometimes there will be lectures.
Mathematics Fundamentals is a great course for building your skills and confidence.
Before enrolling in this course you will be required to sit a maths test so that we can gauge your level of ability.
For more information please contact the New Start office.
You'll complete two assignments and sit an end-of-course test.
Having successfully completed the course, you'll be able to:
- Approach further mathematics courses with increased skills.
- Understand the idea of a function in the sense of describing number patterns.
- Understand Pascal's Triangle and Prime Numbers.
- Understand the relationship between length, area and volume.
- Evaluate and prepare statistical presentations.
- Create 2-D plans of simple 3-D objects.
- Understand the mathematical concepts embedded in maps.
- Understand the use of probabilities in everyday situations.
- Understand the ideas of rate and ration in the context of medicine dosages.
- Use formulae in a variety of situations.
- Represent simple patterns both algebraically and graphically.
2018 course dates
Prior to Semester One 2018
When: 4 sessions, Saturdays, 27 January – 17 February, 9am–4pm (2018 Summer School)
Where: University of Auckland, City Campus
Closing date for online application: 21 January 2018
Prior to Semester Two 2018
When: 4 sessions, Saturdays 16 June–7 July, 9am–4pm (2018 Semester 1)
Where: University of Auckland City Campus
Closing date for online application: 10 June 2018