Equity-related events and resources
Find out about equity-related events, virtual conferences, webinars and resources.
NZ Sign Language Week - 9 - 15 May, 2022
Watch a video by student Isy Pou made with help from a member of the Deaf community and translating Six60's Sundown.
- Learn the sign language alphabet from this instructional video.
- Learn the alphabet - poster
- The NZSL Online Dictionary is available at nzsl.nz - a free app
- Read about a student startup using virtual reality to help neurodivergent people practise for employment challenges, called Socius XR.
Mental Health Awareness Week 26 Sept to 2 Oct 2022
- The University defines mental illness as a disability. Student Disability Services has mental health advisers providing long-term support to students with diagnosed mental health conditions.
Family and relationship violence: It’s Not OK - University staff
Family/relationship violence and abuse is unacceptable. Every person is
entitled to respect, and to live free from fear and abuse.
Held throughout the year, the Staff Equity Manager, and a senior trainer from SHINE lead a family/relationship violence training session open to all staff.
This interactive training session includes how to manage disclosures,
making it particularly valuable to front line staff. Register via Career Tools.
- Universal Design for Learning: Learn how to bring in universal design in a 3 Dec 2021 webinar launching free online training.
- For more information about Accessibility Awareness: Access Advisors and Access Alliance. See also Accessible University
- Refugees As Survivors NZ events can be found here: https://rasnz.co.nz/events/
- Refugees As Survivors NZ has undertaken a survey of New Zealanders' Perceptions of Refugees. The survey was conducted in collaboration with Colmar Brunton and can be found here https://rasnz.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/New-Zealanders-Perceptions-of-Refugees.pdf