General information and reporting form

Learn more about what to report and how to do it.

Defining accidents and incidents


Any unplanned event or occurrence resulting in, or having a potential for injury, ill-health, damage or other loss.


An incident that has caused harm, fatality, ill-health, damage or other loss.

What and when should incidents or accidents be reported?

Incidents should be reported within 24 hours of becoming aware of it: Report a safety injury, incident or observation

Notifiable events need to be reported immediately (further information on this page). Find out more: Notifiable events.


Any incident, accident, illness or related health and safety concern at a University of Auckland:

  • Campus
  • Controlled entity [examples?]
  • Or while taking part in any University-sanctioned activity.

These include:

  • Injuries, gradual process injuries or illnesses
  • Incidents or near-misses
  • Property loss or damage
  • Environmental damage
  • Theft.

To avoid doubt, this includes the following:

  • Gradual process injuries such as OOS-related diagnosis
  • Noise-induced hearing loss or dermatitis (where an actual injury date may be difficult to determine). 

Note that you should record these injuries when you first notice the symptoms or suspect you have them.

Additional reporting including hazards

You also need to report all incidents and accidents involving:

  • Hazardous substances
  • Vehicles
  • Maritime/fieldwork
  • And any sanctioned university activity occurring overseas.

Plus you need to make a report for:

  • Anytime you have sought treatment from a medical provider for a work-related injury, e.g., doctor, physio
  • Potential incidents or ones that have already occurred.

Notifiable events

These are serious events where someone's health or safety is endangered or threatened.

Find out more: Notifiable events