About our centres
We offer dynamic teaching and learning environments with competent, confident tamariki, based on Te Whāriki, the New Zealand early childhood curriculum.
The University of Auckland Early Childhood Centres are owned and operated by the University, and are governed by the regulations set by the Ministry of Education and the requirements of the Te Kōhanga Reo Trust, with reviews carried out regularly by the Education Review Office.
Each facility has a Centre Leader with responsibility for ensuring consistency in service and the smooth operation of the centre.
The University is an equal opportunities employer committed to employing capable and caring people. Each of our centres has fully qualified educators and, at times, will have staff-in-training who will have professional supervision.
To have dynamic teaching teams working in strong positive learning environments the University has agreed to retain the target of 100% qualified staff and provide teacher-to-child ratios that are higher than the minimum standard set by the Ministry of Education.
- to be recognised nationally and internationally as “Centres of Excellence”, enabling optimum wellbeing and learning for infants, toddlers and young children.
- to establish learning communities that value tamariki as taonga, enabling ALL to achieve their full potential as confident and competent ākonga.
- whanaungatanga, protecting mana, social and cultural wellbeing
- enquiring, creative, passionate, inspirational
- quality, sustainability, humility
If you have any concerns or compliments about the service you oryour child receives, you are welcome to contact the Centre Leaders directly or, if you wish, you can contact the Manager for the Early Childhood Centres.
Contact details for Centre Leaders are listed on our centre pages:
- Alten Road and Symonds Street: Mark Markou
- Hinetwiwaiwa Te Kohanga Reo and Te Puna Kōhungahunga: Karen Liley
- Number 28 (Faculty of Education): Andy Dean
- Te Ako O Te Tui: Indira Boppana and Nanette Zsadanyi
Celeste Harrington (Manager, Early Childhood Centres)
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext: 89714
Mobile: +64 21 411 525