Studentsafe University policy

Find out detailed information on the University's insurance policy for international students.

Important update on Studentsafe Inbound policy

COVID-19 coronavirus studentsafe policy update 

Read about a Coronavirus exclusion affecting the Studentsafe Inbound insurance policy.

Find regular updates on the latest information about coronavirus, travel restrictions and more at Coronavirus outbreak.

For information on student support, including specific updates for international students, go to Remote learning support.

Allianz Studentsafe University policy details

Schedule Benefits include:

  • Medical and related expenses
  • Optical and emergency dental
  • Repatriation and travel disruption
  • Luggage
  • Personal effects
  • Travel documents
  • Money and credit cards
  • Personal liability

You must refer to the full policy wording for all terms and conditions that apply to the above benefits. 'Policy wording' is the terms, conditions and definitions of insurance policy coverage.

It is your responsibility as a student or policy holder to read and understand the insurance policy terms and conditions. All documentation and forms are available online.

Personal property valued at more than $2,500

You can apply to insure items of higher value and pay an additional premium. The maximum insurable value for any specified item, set or pair of items is $5,000. In the event of a claim you must be able to support it with receipts or valuations. To insure items of more than $2500 value, apply by completing a Studentsafe Specification of personal property form.

Length of insurance policy

Cover under Studentsafe Inbound policy applies while you are enrolled at the University until the end of your student visa, provided you have paid the appropriate premium in your final year of study.

We recommend you purchase additional appropriate insurance if you are travelling to New Zealand, or are in New Zealand prior to the commencement of your Studentsafe insurance policy.

If you are staying in New Zealand after your enrolment at the University of Auckland has ended, additional appropriate insurance is also recommended.

To purchase Explorersafe Inbound or Workersafe Inbound policy, visit

Note: Studentsafe Inbound will only cover transit en route to and from New Zealand. (Please refer to the policy wording for full terms and conditions.)

How much it costs


  • $670– full year
  • $335– one semester
  • $167.50– summer school or quarter term

Family premiums

Couple OR student with child:

  • $1,340 – full year
  • $670– one semester
  • $335– summer school or quarter term

Couple with child/children OR Student with children:

  • $1,675 – full year
  • $837.50– one semester
  • $418.75 – summer school or quarter term

Short courses

  • $55.83– short courses of 30 days or less (condition applies)

Insurance process in New Zealand

Insurance process in New Zealand is a pay and claim service. This means you pay for medical consultation and prescriptions first and claim for reimbursement of expenses by lodging a claim online and uploading all supporting documents relevant to your claim. We strongly recommend you read terms and conditions in the policy wording for level of coverage.

Tip: Read and understand your policy cover by reading terms and conditions in the policy wording.

Student Health and Counselling Services

Studentsafe University policyholders are able to use the University Health Services for all compliant health and counselling services. Please refer to the policy wording for terms and conditions. Any consultation covered by the Studentsafe University policy will be billed directly to the insurance company with no charge to the student.

Find more information at Student Health and Counselling.

Note: You will need to pay for consultations not covered by the policy.