Pre-existing medical conditions
You are not covered for pre-existing medical conditions. However, in certain circumstances cover may be considered.
What is a pre-existing medical condition?
This is any medical or physical condition or circumstances:
- which you were aware of, or ought to have been aware of
- for which advice, care, treatment, medication or medical attention had been sought, given or recommended
- which have been diagnosed as a medical condition, or a sickness or which are indicative of a sickness
- which are of such a nature to require, or which potentially may require medical attention
- which are of such a nature as would have caused a prudent, reasonable person to seek medical attention prior to the start of cover under this policy
- procedure or surgery in the past even if you are no longer affected by this condition
How can I get cover for a pre-existing condition?
If you require cover for your pre-existing medical condition(s), you must complete a medical risk assessment form, and send it to the insurance provider, (i.e. Allianz Partners) within 28 days of your arrival in New Zealand. For students who were not insured under the policy in the preceding enrolment period who are already in New Zealand, you must submit this form within 28 days of your new enrolment start date.
If you do not submit your medical risk assessment form within these time frames, the insurance provider will not be able to process your medical risk assessment (including future applications) and your pre-existing medical condition(s) will remain excluded.
On review of your medical risk assessment form, Allianz Partners will confirm whether cover for the condition is approved. If cover is confirmed, an additional premium may be payable.
If you decide not to study for a period of time or have a break from studying, your Studentsafe Inbound University policy will lapse and you may be subject to new claims when you return to study.
Note: If you change from one type of policy to another (e.g., from Studentsafe to Explorersafe or vice versa) and your health changed during the period of the former policy, you need to check with Allianz Partners whether you will remain covered when changing to the new policy.