Guidelines for students travelling overseas

Insurance information and risk advice for students travelling overseas on University activities.

28 April 2021

Important Covid-19 notice

Student international travel for University purposes remains restricted until further notice. Any overseas travel will require pre-authorisation.

Travel insurance

The University of Auckland provides travel insurance to students travelling internationally and returning to New Zealand in two situations:

1) Students travelling on funded activity

Available for students travelling for official university business, where your travel is funded by the University or another official source.

Please read the Funded Travel Insurance Terms and Conditions for more information and to see if you are eligible:

2) Students travelling on official university activity registered and approved on Via TRM

Available for travel registered and approved on the Via TRM system.

This does not include 360° International Exchanges of a semester length or longer. Students travelling on this programme are required to purchase insurance separately.

Please read the Via TRM Student Travel Insurance Terms and Conditions for more information and to see if you are eligible:

Please read our FAQs if you have any questions about the Terms and Conditions, or other information on this page.

Travel insurance for other student travel

For all other travel, students are required to obtain appropriate travel and medical insurance.

Insurance is available with a number of commercial providers. The University’s insurance broker, Marsh Ltd., offers University of Auckland students a 25% discount on standard retail rates of a comprehensive travel insurance policy underwritten by Allianz. Two policies are available in this offer:

  1. For students heading overseas for any study-related travel: Studentsafe Outbound policy
  2. For students heading overseas for purely leisure travel purposes: Explorersafe Outbound policy

For both policies you can use the above links to view the policy coverage, run a quote using the Promo code “360OSE” (without the inverted commas) and buy on-line. Immediate confirmation of cover will be emailed to you after your successful purchase.

Supporting documents for University-provided travel insurance

This information is only for students who meet the eligibility requirements for University-provided travel insurance i.e travelling on funded official university business, or whose travel is registered and approved on the Via TRM system.

These documents contain detailed information on the University's international travel insurance policy, including what is covered and relevant excess.

These documents contain information on the claim process.

Travel risk advice

The official source of travel risk advice is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s (MFAT) Safe Travel website.

For tips on accessing risk advice, follow the Traveller checklist for University student activity travel.

Travel to High Risk destinations

The University will not support student travel to a country or region with a MFAT travel advisory set at ‘avoid non-essential travel’ (previously ‘high risk’) or ‘do not travel’ (previously ‘extreme risk’) unless exceptional circumstances exist.

When it is believed that there are exceptional circumstances, you must seek consideration through the Risk Office using the appropriate request form below.

If you are part of a group, you should discuss this with your Trip Organiser who may do this on behalf of the whole group.

Updating your contact details

Please note that it is your responsibility to update your current contact details and next of kin emergency contact details on Student Services Online for the period you are overseas.

Update your details

For more information

If you have questions or need more information, contact our Student Support team.

This is the University's international travel insurance certificate. We recommend you print and take this with you while you are abroad.