Understanding enrolment terms

We know that enrolling can be confusing. You can use the information on this page to understand some of the confusing terms you may come across when enrolling in your courses.

This page covers

The difference between programme and course

At the University of Auckland, we use programme and course to mean two different things.


Programme is the qualification, degree, diploma, or certificate you’re studying.

For example, a programme can be:

  • Bachelor of Arts
  • Bachelor of Science
  • Certificate in Languages
  • Diploma in Languages


A course is the individual parts of the programme you complete to meet the requirements for your programme. For example, BIOSCI 101 or ECON 151.

You may refer to your courses as papers or classes. The University uses the term course.

Each course is given a point value. Most courses have a 15-point value. Depending on your programme, you may need to take courses with 30- or 45-point values.

For more information about enrolling, please see How to enrol in a course.

Academic integrity

The Academic Integrity Course helps you learn about what to do when you’re using other people’s work in a university space. It is more than just ‘not cheating.’

Academic Integrity is ACADINT A01 and shows in your enrolments.

You must complete the Academic Integrity Course. You are automatically enrolled by the University when you enrol in your first courses.

You need to complete the Academic Integrity Course to be able to graduate.

We recommend completing it in your first semester. 

Academic English Language Requirement

The Academic English Language Requirement or AELR is there to ensure you have the right level of English to support your studies at university.

As a new undergraduate student, you must meet the Academic English Language Requirement either through:

  • Your entry qualification
  • Completing an approved course in the first 12 months of study

If you're asked to complete the AELR in the first 12 months of your study, you must do so as it can affect you continuing your studies. 

A and B courses: double-term courses

Some courses have A and B components e.g., LAW 201A and LAW 201B.

A and B component courses can be completed over the course of two semesters or two quarters. From this point forward this kind of course will be referred to as a ‘double-term course.’ 

The A and B components make up one double-term course. The course description is the same for both components and there is only one final grade awarded.

Your final grade will be awarded once the B component is complete. The tuition fees for the A and B components are charged separately.

Other things to note

  • When you enrol into an A component in one term, you must enrol into the B component in the following term. This is the only way that you can complete the full course. 
  • Simultaneous enrolment in A and B components or gaps between terms are generally not allowed. * 
  • If you wish to delete your enrolment from a double-term course, you must withdraw from both A and B component courses. 
  • Refunds for both components are available if a course is dropped before the deadline for changing enrolment to the A component; no refunds after this date. 

* Exceptions may be made for Masters or Bachelors Honours degrees where a suspension is approved in exceptional circumstances 

For more information on how to drop or withdraw from a double-term course, please visit Withdrawing from a course.  

General Education

A General Education course gives you the opportunity to be exposed to new ideas and develop a range of skills that could complement the skills you learn in your other courses.

These courses can be identified by looking for the ‘G’ at the end of the course code. For example, SCIGEN 101G.

In most programmes, you will need to take two General Education courses. There are some programmes, such as conjoint programmes, where you only need to take one.


Elective courses are courses you take for interest that count towards the requirements of your programme but not the requirements for your majors.

Electives are different from General Education courses.

If you need help choosing elective courses, please visit Student Hubs.

Need help

To enrol in your courses, please visit How to enrol in a course.

If you need assistance choosing your courses or have a question to ask, you can visit Student Hubs.