No formal qualifications? You may still be eligible for admission to study here.
Who can apply
To apply for Special Admission, you must be 20 years old on or before the first day of the semester you apply for. You must have no formal university entrance qualification, and be a New Zealand or Australian citizen or permanent resident.
We consider a number of factors when assessing applications, including your previous education, training and work experience, English language skills and motivation to study.
Special Admission programmes 2022
These programmes are available for Special Admission applicants:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Communication*
- Bachelor of Dance Studies
- Bachelor of Design
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Studies*
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching)
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Global Studies
- Bachelor of Laws (Part I)
- Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Sport, Health and Physical Education
- Bachelor of Property
- Bachelor of Science (the following majors are not available for applicants applying through Special Admission: Biomedical Science and Food Science and Nutrition)
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Certificate of Proficiency
- Certificate in Health Sciences
- Certificate in Languages
- Diploma in Languages
- Graduate Diploma in Music
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Dance Studies - 180 points
- Master of Design - 180 points
- Master of Housing Studies
- Master of Music - 180 points
- Postgraduate Certificate in Design
- Postgraduate Certificate in Fine Arts
- Postgraduate Certificate in Music
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business
- Postgraduate Diploma in Dance Studies
- Postgraduate Diploma in Music
- Tertiary Foundation Certificate
Micro-credentials available for Special Admission applicants
How to apply
You must complete the Application for Admission (maximum of two pending applications at any one time). You will be asked to provide details of your prior study and work experience. Some programmes may require an interview.
There is a $60.00 non-refundable application fee.
We provide a number of alternative pathways to support admission to undergraduate programmes, including New Start.
Undergraduate Targeted Admission Schemes (UTAS)
UTAS is the University’s Undergraduate Targeted Admission Schemes for eligible Māori and applicants from some equity groups. UTAS reserves a number of places in our undergraduate programmes for applicants who have met the University Entrance (UE) standard but have not met the guaranteed entry score for the programme of their choice.
UTAS is available to eligible:
- Māori applicants
- Pacific applicants
- Applicants with disabilities
- Applicants from low socio-economic backgrounds (for the purposes of UTAS, school leavers* from decile 1-3 schools)
- Applicants who have themselves or whose parents/primary guardian(s) have been granted refuge in New Zealand.
*UTAS applicants from low socio-economic backgrounds must be school leavers.
Application closing date
Applications must be received no later than the published closing date and no later than 1 December of the application year - to meet deadlines for study in the next year. Applications received after 1 December will only be considered if places are available.
- +64 9 923 5025 (within Auckland)
- 0800 61 62 63 (outside Auckland)
- +64 9 373 7513 (if overseas)