Student Emergency Fund
We appreciate that you may experience financial difficulties while at University. Many of those difficulties can be unexpected and out of your control, in such situations the University may be able to provide you with hardship support.
Student Emergency Fund – General Hardship Support
You can apply to this fund if an unexpected event has caused financial difficulties and is affecting your studies.
To be eligible, you need to:
- be a currently enrolled student (note: doctoral candidates who are under examination or on a Covid-related suspension may also apply)
- be in New Zealand
- have exhausted all other avenues of financial assistance – eg, StudyLink, WINZ, savings, etc.
- complete the Student Emergency Fund Application Form below.
Funding support is available to help with:
- living costs, including groceries
- private rental payments
- utility bills
- University aegrotat and compassionate consideration fee's.
Please note that the fund is unable to support:
- Payment of tuition fees
- Payment of additional course expenses
- Payment of debt accumulation.
Application timelines and confidentiality
The current timelines for assessing and paying students is as follows:
- Applications are initially assessed with information gathered every weekday. The information is compiled into a live report for the Hardship Panel to review by no later than Wednesday each week to determine if an application is approved or declined.
- Payments into student bank accounts are made on the Friday of each week.
- Declined applications are followed up with a response and a rationale for the decline between the Wednesday-Friday of the week the decision is made.
All applications are placed in a confidential queue and only a very small number of people have access to them. Only one person reviews the bank statements that are provided. The panel who assesses applications is made up of:
- Associate Director of Campus Life, Student Wellbeing and Engagement
- Manager of Student Conduct and Care
- Campus Life Director Graduate studies (for PHD applications only)
- Manager of Accommodation Solutions (for students living in Halls of Residence only)
Require additional support?
If you are unable or uncomfortable providing a particular piece of information that the form requests, or require additional support in completing the application, please contact the Campus Care team for a confidential 1:1 conversation about your circumstances.
You may like to consider applying for the one of the following grants:
- An AUSA Hardship Grant.
- Study link has a special needs grant and an unexpected or urgent cost fund.
- You may be eligible for a special needs grant through Work and Income.
You can apply for the University of Auckland Partnership Appeal Award, which are given out twice a year.
Addtitional support resources are available through MoneyTalks.