University of Auckland Pacific Academic Excellence Scholarships
Awarded to Pacific students, who have excellent academic achievement and active participation in community, cultural and other activities.
One year of catered accommodation in a Waipapa Taumata Rau | University of Auckland Hall of Residence in the first year plus $5,000 paid in four lump sum payments over the second and third years.
Our accommodation teams understand that transitioning from secondary school or kura to University can be an overwhelming experience, which is why all our first-year halls offer a safe and supportive environment to guide you through the first year.
You will need to complete a separate application to Accommodation for either Grafton Hall, O'Rorke Hall, University Hall - Towers or Waipārūrū Hall.
Each Hall offers catering, your own room, a range of activities and events, academic mentoring programmes and pastoral care.
As part of your accommodation you get free membership to the University Recreation facilities on the City Campus, including access to a wide range of group fitness classes, weights and cardio equipment.
Am I eligible to apply for this scholarship?
You are eligible to apply if you are:
- a Pacific student
- a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand
- currently enrolled in your final year at a New Zealand secondary school or kura
- intending to enrol full-time in a degree or Certificate in Health Sciences followed by a degree at the University of Auckland Waipapa Taumata Rau in the following year
Assessment criteria includes:
- The number of Excellence credits you attained at NCEA Level 2 or 3 last year, or your CIE average from last year, or your predicted score for IB for this year
- Whether you participated in Māori performing arts
- Your cultural participation in Pacific contexts
- Whether you competed in the finals of academic, sporting or arts competitions
- Whether you held senior leadership positions at school
- If you have demonstrated cultural leadership in your school or community
- If you have been awarded a community-based honour
- If you have been selected by an outside agency or trust to attend leadership training or personal development programme
The University of Auckland Waipapa Taumata Rau is a committed to providing a safe, inclusive and equitable study environment for all students who have the potential to succeed in a university of high international standing.
The Pacific Academic Excellence Scholarship acknowledges that some talented students may face barriers to entry and takes into account if you:
- have demonstrated financial need;
- are the first in your family to attend university;
- are from a refugee background;
- have a disability;
- have care responsibilities for whanau; or
- if you live, or attend school or kura, in a rural area
The University also has a rigorous process for reviewing all applications, and ensuring scholarship recipients are drawn from secondary schools across New Zealand.
How do I apply?
Scholarship applications are made via our online application system Community Force. You will also need to apply for accommodation via the Accommodation Portal.
To access Community Force and the Accommodation Portal, you will need to have applied for admission to Waipapa Taumata Rau | University of Auckland for Semester One 2024.
Once you have applied for admission, you will be able to apply for the University of Auckland Pacific Academic Excellence Scholarship. You can also apply for the University of Auckland Top Achiever Scholarship, the University of Auckland Māori Academic Excellence Scholarship, the University of Auckland Academic Potential Scholarship - School Leavers, the University of Auckland Waka Moana Scholarship, and the University of Auckland Vaka Moana Scholarship in the same form.
When you are ready, click on the blue "Apply now" button below.
What will I be asked in the application form?
In the application form you will complete a variety of sections containing questions relevant to the scholarship you are applying for.
You will be asked to confirm your personal details and recent education background, including whether you are enrolled in NCEA, CIE, IB or another qualification.
Remember to save your application as you go, and once all sections are 100% completed you can submit your application.
Applications for 2024 are now closed.
If you completed all your sections of the application by 23 August but your endorser or verifier is yet to complete their section(s), don’t worry! Endorsers and verifiers get one extra week after the closing date to endorse/verify your application. Once they do this, we will submit your application for you.