Eligibility and timing

To be able to go on exchange, you need to meet certain criteria and know when you can go.

When to apply for exchange

We have two exchange application rounds each year, one for Semester One and one for Semester Two. You apply a year in advance for the exchange (i.e apply during Semester One 2022 for Semester One 2023 exchange). 

Applications for Semester One 2023 are currently open and close 1 July 2022. For more information, please see how to apply.

Eligibility criteria

  • Enrolment at the University in an undergraduate or a taught postgraduate programme.
  • Completed at least two full-time semesters prior to the start of the exchange.
  • Demonstrated academic merit (a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.0*, which is a B average). 
  • Suitability of your proposed programme at the host university to your programme of study at the University.
  • Your suitability as a representative of the University.

You must also achieve a term GPA of 5.0** the semester before your exchange. If you no longer fulfil the criteria, 360 International has the right to withdraw you from the exchange.

Students are expected to enrol between 45 to 75 points in one semester for exchange, with the average being 60 points that students complete. If intending to apply for exchange in the final semester of study, students must have at least 45 points remaining in their degree. Note, if you wish to utilise the GenEd exemption and plan to enrol in 45 points only, please read more information on the GenEd exemption page.

Domestic and international students are eligible to apply for exchange. Please note that if you’re a permanent resident of New Zealand and if you wish to apply for exchange in a country where you’re considered to be familiar with, this may impact your tuition fees. Please see Fees and money matters.

*Cumulative GPA: grade point average from all your semesters studied at the University of Auckland, inclusive of current and past programme enrolment

**Term GPA: a particular semester’s grade point average

When to go on exchange

The best time for you to go on exchange will vary depending on
  • Your degree
  • Remaining time until graduation

You can go on exchange for one or two semesters, depending on the feasibility of your programme. If you have any questions about courses and timing, please discuss with Student Hubs.

Thinking of going in your final semester? You may still be able to participate in exchange depending on your degree. Research the partner universities and courses offered thoroughly to ensure you can fulfil your remaining degree requirements at the host university and graduate upon returning to Auckland.


Architecture: it is possible to do an exchange at both the Bachelors and Masters level.

  • BAS students may go in Semester Two of second year or Semester One of third year.
  • MArch(Prof) and its combined version students* may apply for one semester in the taught section of the degree (second semester of Masters first year).
    Contact: Architecture

*Note: Combined masters include MArch(Prof) Urban (Prof), MArch(Prof) Her Cons and March(Prof)UrbDes.

Arts: second year, but third year may be possible.
Contact: asc@auckland.ac.nz

Business: second year, but third year may be possible.
Contact: comenquiry@auckland.ac.nz

Creative Arts and Industries: second year, but third year may be possible.
Contact: info-creative@auckland.ac.nz

Design: BDes students may go in Semester Two of second year or Semester One of third year.
Contact: please contact Nick Konings at n.konings@auckland.ac.nz

Education and Social Work: Education students can go only in Semester Two of the second year. Sport, Health and Physical Education students should consult with your programme leader as timing may be flexible. Exchange is currently unavailable for Social Work students. 
Contact: please discuss your exchange with your programme leader.

Engineering: Semester Two of Part II or any semester of Part III. You can only go for one semester and transfer back a maximum of 60 points. 
Contact: foe-enquiries@auckland.ac.nz

Global Studies: please see below.

  • Bachelor of Global Studies: second or third year. Apply for exchange first and if you receive a nomination offer, then discuss your courses, suitable for your major, area study or language at stage II or stage III, with the Global Studies Programme and Student Adviser.
  • Global Studies conjoints: The timing may vary depending on your specific conjoint options, please check advice for both degree components in your conjoint while planning your exchange.

For Bachelors of Global Studies and Global Studies conjoints, you can seek initial degree planning and course advice before applying for exchange, but reviewing your degree plan and the course approval process will take place after you have received a nomination offer.
Contact: globalstudies@auckland.ac.nz

Law: when you complete your Part IV electives. You must have completed your compulsory Part III Law courses prior to exchange. Generally this in your fourth year, or for conjoint students, this may be your fifth year or final year.  

  • Law Conjoints: either law courses only or the other part of your degree, but a mix of both faculties is usually not allowed. If you still have full year Law papers to complete and want to do an exchange for the other side of your conjoint, please plan the exchange carefully as you cannot do full year Law papers alongside your exchange in the same year. 

This applies to both LLB students and Law conjoint students: if going on exchange in your final semester, students should complete the Law 498 requirements in the penultimate semester before the exchange semester.

Contact: undergradlaw@auckland.ac.nz

Medical and Health Sciences: please consult with your faculty. Exchange is not applicable for Medical Imaging, Medicine, Pharmacy and Optometry students (consult faculty for opportunities).
Contact: fmhs@auckland.ac.nz

Nursing: only in Semester Two of your third year.
Contact: please contact the BNurs Management Director in the School of Nursing staff

Science: second year, but third year may be possible.
Contact: scifac@auckland.ac.nz


You have more flexibility, as you may be able to select courses from either one or both halves of your degree. It will also depend if the partner university will permit exchange students to take courses from different departments or faculties, as this may not always be possible. If you're a Law conjoint, please be prepared to only focus on one of your degrees, as it's generally not possible to take a mix of Law courses and other subjects on exchange.

When you go is determined by how you schedule your courses. Please plan carefully on both sides of your degree, especially if Law is one of your degrees. We advise planning out your whole degree, including the exchange semester, and identifying which courses you will take at Auckland and which courses you intend to complete on exchange.


  • You can only go for one semester in a taught postgraduate programme. (You cannot do your research/thesis abroad.)
  • Discuss feasibility with your faculty, as exchange may not be possible for certain programmes. Please note that an exchange is less common at the postgraduate level as many programme structures may not be able to accommodate an exchange semester.
  • When applying for a postgraduate degree programme, apply to 360 International at the same time. If you’re not accepted into the postgraduate programme, we simply withdraw you from the exchange.
  • If you've completed previous undergraduate study at a different institution, you'll need to provide a transcript as part of your supporting documents.

Foreign language proficiency

If you are taking courses taught in another language, you need to demonstrate proficiency in the language of instruction as part of your application before you can be approved. Example countries include Chile, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Caledonia, Spain, and South Korea. For each institution’s requirements, please check the exchange partner university fact sheets.

What it means to be “proficient” in a foreign language

Essentially it means you have studied a language at university level for a minimum of two years, or meet the requirements indicated by that particular institution, before going on exchange.

This chart by the Council of Europe indicates different levels of language proficiency.

In order to have sufficient skills to study in a foreign language, you need to have achieved a minimum level of B2. Even with a B2 level, we strongly advise you take an intensive language course for 2-4 weeks before beginning your studies.

Intensive language courses

Most exchange partners in non-English speaking countries offer intensive language courses before their semester begins as part of orientation. Please ensure you check whether these courses are mandatory or optional.