360 International virtual opportunities
Discover how virtual opportunities can enable you to stay engaged globally while enhancing your academic, professional and personal development.
360 International offers exciting virtual global learning opportunities for University of Auckland students. Most of the virtual programmes offered on our website are fully funded by the 360 International Office.
Why consider virtual global learning?
Virtual programmes allow students to engage and collaborate with others from around the world and develop vital skills for employability, while gaining an international learning experience.
These opportunities are a great way for you to develop your skills, enhance your CV and get involved in an extracurricular experience.
360 International offers full or partial funding to enable students to participate in virtual global learning. University of Auckland students from all faculties, including undergraduate and postgraduate students, are welcome to apply.
Types of virtual programmes
- Leadership certificates: learn how to become an effective leader and improve your intercultural and interpersonal skills.
- Innovation & sustainability challenges: get thinking, get creative and identify solutions for current global issues, either as an individual pursuit or in teams with peers around the world.
- Cultural programmes: learn more about a particular culture or region as part of a group cohort through an interactive virtual experience.
- Academic short courses: short intensive courses offered by partner universities during the summer or winter inter-semester breaks allowing you to apply for academic credit towards your degree (with faculty approval).
- Service learning: give some of your time and talent to helping organisations abroad through project-based learning.
- Virtual global internships: gain virtual work experience through approved internship providers, facilitated by Career, Development and Employability Services (CDES).
How to get started
- First check out the virtual programmes currently on offer below. It’s important to look at the dates of the programme, time commitment, funding availability and application process.
- Follow instructions on our website to apply for the programme(s) you are interested in. Note, many programmes require an application both to 360 International (through Via TRM) and to the host university or programme provider.
- If you have applied for funding support through an application in Via TRM, we will be in touch after our deadline passes with the outcome of your application and the next steps.
Check out the different opportunities with applications currently open. We will have more coming throughout the year, so keep an eye out on our website for new programmes.
If you would like to receive email updates from our team as new programmes come online, we encourage you to join our mailing list.
Innovation and sustainability challenges
If you're looking for a way to bring your business idea to life, upskill for employability or do something meaningful and adventurous, this is the programme for you with Hacker Exchange!
The North Asia Centre of Asia-Pacific Excellence (North Asia CAPE) has partnered with GlobaLink Internships to offer students and young professionals the opportunity to undertake a virtual tour of Japan.
- The programme starts on 23 August 2021, and runs over three weeks across Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.
- Please apply directly to North Asia CAPE by 30 July.
These programmes have previously been offered, but currently do not have applications open:
Make a difference in local communities through non-profit organisations based in Barcelona.
Develop your understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion through a leadership lens through the Global Inclusive Leadership Certificate!
- Programme dates: 13 September - 15 November 2021
- Please apply on Via TRM by 25 August.
This programme will immerse youth leaders in the challenges of a developing country in the Asia-Pacific through a 12-day program which consists of virtual lectures and workshops with proactive and interactive session!
- Programme dates: 18 October – 29 October 2021
- Please apply on Via TRM by 15 August.
Please note, students may be able to gain credit for these virtual programmes, however credit is determined by your faculty. Find out more information about each programme on the Via TRM programme pages.
These programmes have previously been offered, but currently do not have applications open. We expect applications to open for the next round between September to November:
The APRU Virtual Student Exchange (VSE) Programme enables you to take an academic course and or participate in co-curricular programmes through selected partners in the APRU network. This programme will provide an immersive virtual student exchange experience through digital technologies and platforms.
- Please read the instructions on how to apply on Via TRM.
Virtual global internships
After the success of last year’s global, remote internship programme, CDES will soon be opening applications once again for up to 50 funded opportunities, valued at $2000NZD.
Remote internships allow you to gain international work experience and build your CV from anywhere in the world! Don't let COVID-19 stop you from becoming a global employee; you can gain work experience from the comfort of your own home through remote internships.
Working alongside two internship providers, The Intern Group and Pagoda Projects, means there are even more opportunities in even more locations across the globe. From China, Taiwan, Vietnam and Japan, to the United Kingdom, North America and South America – there will be plenty of options for you to choose from!
Whilst this opportunity will be unpaid, they are similar to your standard internships in terms of roles and responsibilities - except they are completed virtually instead of a physical office environment. It might seem a little strange to start a new job from home, but you receive a tremendous amount of support from the company.
Stay tuned as they bring you more information in the next few weeks – and don't forget; you can receive support with your applications, from CV and cover letter checks to interview preparation and career advice from the team at CDES.