Postgraduate study in Alcohol and Drug Studies

What can you study in Alcohol and Drug Studies?

You can undertake Alcohol and Drug Studies in the Postgraduate Diploma or Certificate in Health Sciences or in the Master of Health Practice.

Graduates with relevant degrees and health professionals will gain advanced understanding of the nature of addiction, co-existing disorders and current principles of management of alcohol, drug and other addictive problems, such as gambling.

The areas of study include:

  • Alcohol, tobacco and other drug studies
  • Assessment and interventions with addiction
  • Biology of addiction
  • Co-existing problems, theory and principles
  • Theory and skills in counselling practice; addictive consumptions and public health
  • Pharmacotherapeutic responses to addiction
  • Project planning for lifestyle change

This specialisation is a recognised pathway for health professionals wishing to receive accreditation with DAPAANZ (Drug and Alcohol Practitioners Association of Aotearoa – New Zealand).

The specialisation is offered in a flexible learning format (one full-day a month, four times over the semester) at the School of Population Health.

Where can postgraduate study in Alcohol and Drug Studies take you?

Graduates are expected to be in demand from a variety of employers, including Community Alcohol and Drug Services and mental health services delivered through DHBs as well as a number of NGOs that deliver addiction programmes.

Completion of the programme will enable graduates to achieve accreditation with DAPAANZ (Drug and Alcohol Practitioners Association of Aotearoa – New Zealand).

Jobs related to Alcohol and Drug Studies

  • Recovery Coach
  • Clinical Supervisor
  • Co-occurring Disorders Counselor (Mental Health and Substance Use)
  • Vocational Counselor
  • Nurse/Psychiatric Nurse
  • Detox Specialist
  • Psychologist
  • Psychiatrist
  • Addictionologist/Medical Director
  • Family Therapist
  • Social Worker
  • Case Manager
  • Administrative Support
  • Researcher
  • Educator/Teacher/Professor