All applicants are required to submit a portfolio of creative work and a one-page written statement via the portfolio portal system SlideRoom. Your statement should tell us a bit about yourself, and why you would like to study architecture at the University of Auckland.
How to prepare your portfolio
There is no one correct way to put your portfolio together - you should make the most of the opportunity to express your individuality and show what you are capable of. The following guidelines will help you prepare a portfolio that will meet the basic requirements; the rest is up to you.
- Your portfolio must include between 12 and 15 pages of your own drawings and / or other creative works.
- You can choose any page size up to a maximum of A2 to present your work.
- Each page may consist of either one or multiple images.
- Each pdf file may contain only one page.
Your portfolio should:
- Display evidence of a variety of techniques and media (i.e. different ways of drawing and making, both by hand and digitally).
- Provide evidence of your interest in buildings, spaces, interiors, groups of buildings (towns, cities), landscapes, people and designed objects such as pieces of furniture.
- Convey your awareness of spatial qualities, details such as materials and textures, construction (how things are put together), light and colour.
Note: Drawings prepared from photographs are strongly discouraged.
You may include:
- Material from visual arts, design and communications courses for school examinations, including painting, printmaking, sculpture, drawings and objects, and either exploratory studies or finished work.
- Evidence of creative activities in other fields, such as photographs of models you have made or of objects you have designed and/or built.
- A photographic study of a subject of your choice, where you have a particular interest in the creative possibilities of the photographic medium (in your portfolio, use no more than three of the sheets for photographic studies).
- Digital experiments (visual, audio, moving images, 3D modelling).
Here are some sample portfolios to help you with your BAS application.
Sample portfolio 1
Sample portfolio 2
Sample portfolio 3
Sample portfolio 4
Sample portfolio 5