Postgraduate study in Data Science
What can you study in Data Science?
There are two different options to consider when choosing your postgraduate qualification in Data Science.
The Master of Professional Studies specialising in Data Science concentrates on the application of data management and data analysis skills to a professional domain, such as business.
The Master of Data Science is an advanced programme and takes the skills learned from your undergraduate degree in Data Science to the next level. You will be taught how to apply state-of-the-art techniques from computer science and statistics to real-world problems.
Both options concentrate on a strong core of Computer Science and Statistics courses. You will have the opportunity to:
- Apply techniques from large-scale data management, data mining, machine learning, statistical modelling and statistical analysis to relevant domains
- Assemble theories and tools from Computer Science, Statistics and domains of Data Science to create information, knowledge, or innovative products, from data
- Critically analyse data, but also assess the appropriateness and limitations of the methods and solutions
- Take into account ethical considerations and evaluate the impact of their findings on culture, economy, environment and society
- Utilise techniques for visualisation and communication to express and share their findings at a level that is appropriate for the target audience
- Manage knowledge and time in Data Science projects
The Department of Statistics is the birthplace of the R Project. Founded in 1996 by Associate Professors Robert Gentleman and Ross Ihaka, R is a programming language and environment for statistical computing and graphics. It is taught around the world and is used by Ivy League universities, Google, Uber and many more organisations. Learn more about the R Project.
Structuring your postgraduate programme in Data Science
Master of Professional Studies in Data Science – 120-point (one-year) taught masters
At least 30 points from:
- COMPSCI 751 Advanced Topics in Database Systems
- COMPSCI 752 Big Data Management
- COMPSCI 753 Uncertainty in Data
- COMPSCI 762 Advanced Machine Learning
At least 30 points from:
- STATS 762 Special Topic in Regression
- STATS 769 Advanced Data Science Practice
- STATS 782 Statistical Computing
- STATS 784 Statistical Data Mining
Up to 30 points from:
- COMPSCI 705 Advanced Topics in Human Computer Interaction
- COMPSCI 711 Parallel and Distributed Computing
- COMPSCI 720 Advanced Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- COMPSCI 732 Software Tools and Techniques
- COMPSCI 734 Web, Mobile and Enterprise Computing
- COMPSCI 760 Datamining and Machine Learning
- INFOSYS 720 Information Systems Research
- INFOSYS 722 Data Mining and Big Data
- INFOSYS 727 Advanced Information Security
- INFOSYS 737 Adaptive Enterprise Systems
- INFOSYS 740 System Dynamics and Complex Modelling
- OPSMGT 760 Advanced Operations Systems
- OPSMGT 762 Quality Management
- SCIENT 701 Accounting and Finance for Scientists
- SCIENT 702 Marketing for Scientific and Technical Personnel
- STATS 707 Computational Introduction to Statistics
- STATS 760 A Survey of Modern Applied Statistics
- STATS 763 Advanced Regression Methodology
- STATS 779 Professional Skills for Statisticians
- STATS 783 Simulation and Monte Carlo Methods
Master of Data Science – 180-point taught masters
See our Master of Data Science page for information about how to structure the 180-point Research Masters.
Master of Data Science – 240-point taught masters
From 2020 we will offer a 240-point taught masters option for the Master of Data Science. See our Master of Data Science page for information about how to structure the 240-point taught masters.
Explore the postgraduate courses you can take for a Data Science specialisation:
Where can postgraduate study in Data Science take you?
Jobs related to Data Science include:
- Big data engineer
- Business analyst
- Data mining
- Data scientist
- Data steward
- Machine learning engineer
- Organisational change analyst
- Software architect
- Software developer
Meet our graduate
Nishita Balamuralikrishna completed a Master of Professional Studies in Data Science and is now working as a Data Analyst and Business Intelligence Developer at EROAD. Watch her story below.
Scholarships and awards
Each year we award scholarships and prizes to thousands of students.
Find out about the scholarships you may be eligible for, search available scholarships or begin an application by visiting Scholarships and awards.
Help and advice
For further information and advice, please contact the Science Student Centre.
Science Student Centre
Level G, Room G 20
(beside the entrance to the Large Chemistry Lecture Theatre)
23 Symonds Street
Phone: +64 9 923 7020
To find a supervisor to work with you on your research project please contact email@example.com.