Postgraduate study in Mathematics Education
What can you study in Mathematics Education?
You can complete a graduate or postgraduate qualification in an Education or Science programme that includes topics such as:
- Mathematics, statistics and technology education
- The secondary mathematics curriculum
- Measurement and advanced statistics
- Knowledge and concepts in mathematics
- Contemporary pedagogies
- Teaching for scientific literacy
- Exploring mathematical thinking
- Understanding difficulties in number learning
- Development of numeracy practice
- Differentiating learning for mathematics
- Practice-focused inquiry into teaching and learning of mathematics
Structuring your postgraduate programme in Mathematics Education
Bachelor of Education (Teaching) Honours students can specialise in primary Mathematics and Science.
Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Primary) students all complete Mathematics and Statistics Education as a core component of the qualification.
Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Secondary) students must have completed an undergraduate degree in Mathematics to specialise in teaching Mathematics in secondary schools. As well as core courses in the theory and practice of teaching, required courses in Mathematics Education may include EDCURSEC 603A/B Curriculum Statistics Education (15 points) and EDCURSEC 604A/B Senior Mathematics Education (15 points).
For postgraduate study in education explore the Mathematics Education courses that can be taken in a Bachelor of Education (Honours) or postgraduate study in Education, including postgraduate certificate, diploma and masters.
Master of Professional Studies in Mathematics Education 120-point (one-year) taught masters requires:
· Up to 30 points from EDPROFST 787 or other 700-level courses approved by the Head of School of Curriculum and Pedagogy or the Programme Director
Help and advice
For a postgraduate adviser or the subject convenor please contact:
Dr Tanya Evans
Faculty of Science
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 88783
Dr Ngaire Hoben
Faculty of Education and Social Work
Phone: +64 9 623 8899 ext. 87371