How to apply for TFC
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- be completing Year 13 in the year prior to starting TFC, or else have been out of school for at least one calendar year
We welcome applications from students of mature age.
You must also submit verified proof of your New Zealand citizenship or Permanent Residency status and a colour passport photo. Take these to:
Alfred Nathan House,
24 Princes St
(Entrance at rear of building)
You should do this before attending any diagnostic assessment.
Log on to apply now.
- If this is your first time applying to the University of Auckland, select "Create Application".
- Make a note of your application number and password and select "Continue".
- If you have previously applied for any of our programmes, enter your application number and password and select "Continue Application".
- Under “Programme Type”, choose “Certificate”.
- Under "Programme Name" choose "Tertiary Foundation Cert”.
- If you are applying for Education and Social Work, select this now. Otherwise select “Tertiary Foundation Certificate”.
- Under "Start Term" select the semester in which you wish to begin your programme. Note that Education and Social Work only has a Semester One start.
- If you selected "Education and Social Work", please choose your campus from one of the following: Epsom, Tai Tonga (South Auckland) or Tai Tokerau (Whangārei). If you selected “Tertiary Foundation Certificate” then select City as your campus.
- Complete the remaining questions and submit your application.
You must include a current email address as we will use this to advise you of your application status.
The selection process
The Selection Committee will decide which applicants will be admitted. This will be based on your:
- Results from the English and Mathematics diagnostic assessment
- Interview responses (if applicable)
- Academic merit as per you last school reports and/or other courses completed
Preference will be given to Māori or Pacific applicants, women aiming for the sciences, parents and others wishing to return to study after a break, refugees, applicants with disabilities, those changing direction and students of mature age.
Notice of acceptance
We will notify everyone about the result of their application.
If you are accepted, we will email you an official "Offer of Place". Our staff will enrol you. Please ensure you read about our fees, examinations and regulations.
If you have applied online for any other programmes, you may receive a generic response indicating that applications have closed and your application will be considered if places become available. This does not apply to TFC applications. We will email you directly.