How to apply for TFC
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- be completing Year 13 in the year prior to starting TFC, or else have been out of school for at least one calendar year
We welcome applications from mature age students.
You must also submit verified proof of your New Zealand citizenship or Permanent Residency status and a colour passport photo. Take these to:
Student Information Centre
Level 1 (Ground Floor)
22 Princes Street
You should do this before attending any diagnostic tests.
Log on to apply now.
- If this is your first time applying to the University of Auckland, select "Create Application".
- Make a note of your application number and password and select "Continue".
- If you have previously applied for any of our programmes, enter your application number and password and select "Continue Application".
- Under "Programme Type" choose "Certificate".
- Under "Academic Programme" choose "Tertiary Foundation Cert (TFC)".
- Under "Intended Start Term" select the semester that you wish to begin your studies.
- "Campus" will default to the Auckland City Campus.
- "Major or Specialisation" will default to "Tertiary Foundation Certificate".
- Select "Save Programme to a List".
*You must include a current email address as we will use this to advise you of your application status.
The selection process
The Selection Committee will decide which applicants will be admitted based on:
- Results from the English and Mathematics diagnostic tests
- Interview results (if applicable)
- Academic merit as per last school reports and/or other courses completed
Preference will be given to Māori or Pacific applicants, women aiming for the sciences, parents and others wishing to return to study after a break, refugees, applicants with disabilities, those changing direction and mature age students.
Notice of acceptance
We will notify everyone to say if you have/have not been accepted into the programme.
If you are accepted, we will email you an official "Offer of a Place". Our staff will enrol you. Please ensure you read about our fees, examinations and regulations.
If you have applied online for any other programmes, you may receive a generic response indicating that applications have closed and your application will be considered if places become available. This does not apply to TFC applications. We will email you directly.