To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident or Australian citizen.
- Have either completed Year 13 or, if you left school prior to or immediately after completing Year 12, you must have been out of school for at least one calendar year.
We welcome applications from students of mature age.
Start your Application for Admission
- Start application: Click "Create Application".
- Enter details: note your application number and password. Click "Continue".
- If you have previously applied, enter your application number, password and click "Continue".
- Programme Type: Choose "Certificate" and type "Tertiary Foundation Certificate".
- Select Start Term: selection the semester and your preferred campus. Complete the remaining questions and click on "Submit".
You must include a current email address as we will use this to advise you of your application status. Do not use your school email address.
What to expect after you apply
Within two working days, you will receive an acknowledgement email with:
- A list of supporting documents we require
- A Student ID number for logging into your Application for Admission (if this is your first time applying to the University of Auckland)
For more information around application documents, visit AskAuckland - documents.
Status of your application
You can jump back into your application to see the status of your application. If you have been made an offer of place, you will be able to accept or decline the offer.
To access your application, please visit Continue your application.
We will acknowledge that your application has been received by email. If accepted, you will be given a conditional offer of place, meaning you will need to meet all the conditions before you can be offered a firm place in the programme:
- Satisfactory completion of a diagnostic assessment
- Satisfactory completion of an interview
Find out more about TFC diagnostic assessment and interview
The selection process
The Selection Committee will decide which applicants will be admitted. This will be based on your:
- Results from the English and Mathematics diagnostic assessment
- Interview responses (if applicable)
- Academic merit as per your last school reports and/or other courses completed
Preference will be given to Māori or Pacific applicants, women aiming for the sciences, parents and others wishing to return to study after a break, refugees, applicants with disabilities, those changing direction and students of mature age.
Notice of acceptance
We will notify everyone about the result of their application. If you are accepted and you have satisfactorily met the conditions, we will enrol you in TFC courses depending on your chosen pathway.
Please ensure you read about our fees, examinations and regulations.