Download and activate the Authy app (recommended app)
Information about installing the Authy app on smart devices.
Authy is an app used to generate the time-dependent six-digit code needed for access to University online services. The prompt for the code will appear after the username and password screen of the University online service you are trying to access. When the prompt appears, open Authy on your mobile device and enter the code that appears.
Authy can be used on multiple devices and your 2FA codes automatically sync to any new device you authorise.
Find out how to install Authy on your computer.
Note: If you are already using an authenticator such as Google Authenticator and you're happy with it, you do not need to use Authy.
Download the Authy app on a mobile device
We have steps that outline how to download the Authy mobile application. The actual steps or screens might vary depending on the device you are using:
- Go to the app store your device uses, for example the Apple App Store for iPhones and iPads, or Google Play for Android.
- Search for Authy and download the app
- Open the Authy app and enter the details of:
- Your mobile number - to receive a code to verify the phone
- or your landline - to receive a call to verify the phone
- your email address - required the first time you register. It is recommended to use your personal email address so you can use the app outside the University environment
- The next step is to verify your identity, you will be asked whether you want to be phoned or sent an SMS (text message). We suggest selecting SMS.
- Once the text message is received you can either type in the code or select the link in the text message. Selecting the text you will be asked if you want to open the app, confirm Yes.
6. The next step is to add an account by clicking on the + button
7. The first time that you set up Authy you will be asked if you want to enable backup. We recommend that you enable backup so that your codes can be restored when you replace your device. You can skip this step and return to set it up later.
Note: this is not linked to the University so please use a different password.
8. You will be asked for a code to add to the account. To get the code go to mytoken.auckland.ac.nz
- If you do not have a linked code click Create a new token and then choose your device or computer type
- If you do have a code click Copy a token and then choose choose your device or computer type
9. Next you need to create the link between Authy and mytoken.auckland.ac.nz:
- Go to mytoken.auckland.ac.nz and log in
- Scan the QR code on the MyToken page with the Authy app
- Alternatively you can select ‘Can’t scan the QR Code?’ and enter the key that is displayed on the page into the Authy app using the 'Enter key manually' option.
- You will now see a 6 digit code on your Authy app, as per the screenshot below.
- The final step is to enter the 6 digit code from the screen of the Authy app into mytoken.auckland.ac.nz and click on Verify and save. This completes the link between the two applications.
Note: the QR code is unique to you so don't share it with other people.
Note: if you have already registered another digital code, like in Google Authenticator or Authy on another device, you do not need to complete this step.
If you have completed the setup on your iPhone, we highly recommend setting a Pin for your Authy app. This can be done in Settings > Security > App Protection.
If you still have questions or need further help please contact us:
- Call the Staff Service Centre ext 86000 or + 64 9 923 6000
- Submit a query to the Staff Service Centre (University Staff Only)
Students, Applicants and Alumni
For more contact details Contact us