Severe weather in Auckland: Cyclone Gabrielle
Update: Wednesday 22 February
We are returned to normal operations on all of our campuses. All student services are open in-person, and Quarter One teaching has returned to on-campus.
We recognise that some postgraduate research students will have been impacted by Cyclone Gabrielle over the past week and the earlier weather events prior to this. For some it will have caused minor disruption, but for others the impact may be more severe. Provisions have been made for an Extension for postgraduate research students.
Monday 13 February
Examinations and teaching scheduled for this week (Monday 13 to Saturday 18 February) will be held online for the entire week.
If you are impacted by the cyclone and are unable to sit your exam or something unforeseen has impacted your exam preparation or performance, you may be able to apply for an aegrotat or compassionate consideration. For more information, please see Aegrotats and compassionate considerations.
Regularly check your student email to ensure you keep up to date with communications related to your Summer School exams. You will also receive updates by text message if you have your New Zealand mobile number listed on our identity management system under “mobile.”
If you need support
- During business hours, you can reach out to Te Papa Manaaki, Campus Care, a safe, confidential and free service that supports the health, wellbeing and safety of everyone at University. For those facing an exceptional circumstance outside of their control, one of the team can work out a support plan with you looking at academic and other needs.
- If your laptop has been damaged, you can apply for a loan laptop.
- If you are feeling distressed and need to talk to someone, Puāwaitanga Counselling is available 9am-9pm, seven days a week. Details are on our Counselling services page.
- You can find support and advice from a wide range of services across personal, academic and learning, financial and tech support on our Student support pages.
- Get Ready – Emergency preparation in New Zealand
- Auckland Council, Be prepared for Cyclone Gabrielle
- Auckland Emergency Management
- Citizens Advice Bureau have very helpful Auckland/North Island Flooding 2023 Information, which includes advice and links on reporting problems to Auckland Council, building assessments, insurance, and cleaning up after a flood.