Withdrawing from your residential agreement

Find out how to withdraw from your residential agreement and the conditions for refunds.

How do I withdraw my application?

  • If you no longer require accommodation for any reason, please let us know in writing as soon as possible so that we can offer your place to an applicant on the waiting list.
  • Contact our student support team with your full name and Student ID number, indicating that you wish to withdraw and the reason for your withdrawal.
  • We can’t accept withdrawals over the telephone, they must be in writing from the person whose name is on the residential agreement.

Refund conditions for withdrawal from all University of Auckland residences

Date of withdrawal for 2019 accommodation offers commencing Semester One Refund conditions
Withdrawal from a confirmed room up to and including: 16 January 2019
  • 50% refund of accommodation deposit = $325.00
  • Placement fee ($100.00) not refundable

Withdrawal from confirmed room AFTER: 16 January 2019*

*includes offers made and accepted after 16 January 2019

  • No refund of accommodation deposit or placement Fee

Withdrawal from confirmed room upon:

  • notification from the University that your application for admission to your chosen program has been unsuccessful
  • Full refund of accommodation deposit and placement fee = $750.00
Withdrawal after taking up residency

Should I wish to leave before the end of the residency period, I agree to:

  • Discuss this first with the resident or area manager and follow the withdrawal procedures.
  • Pay a penalty equating to 25% of the fees due for the entire agreement period, or remain liable for fees until such time as the residence attains full occupancy.
  • Notify the resident or area manager in writing as soon as practicable if I intend to withdraw from my course of study at the University prior to the end of my agreement, and arrange for written evidence from Academic Services of such a withdrawal to ensure that my liability for fees ceases.

I understand that:

  • The resident or area manager may recommend my liability be waived or reduced if there are substantiated medical or personal grounds for doing so.
  • The resident manager may suspend or expel me from the residence for a breach of any residential rules.

Student visa withdrawal

  • We are unable to offer accommodation to students who require a visa to study in New Zealand, until such a time that their visa has been approved, and the student has notified us.
  • If you request to be considered for accommodation without a valid visa, you must agree to the following conditions:
    • If you accept an offer of accommodation, and later withdraw because you do not have a current student visa, you will forfeit your deposit and, if after the start of the residential agreement period, any advance fees you have paid.
    • If you arrive after the start date of the residential agreement, due to delays in receiving a student visa, you will be liable for charges from the contracted date.

How do I make a complaint or appeal a decision?

If you seek to appeal the decision or make a complaint relating to your placement in University-owned and operated accommodation, write to:

Manager - Accommodation Solutions
Accommodation Solutions
The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
Auckland Mail Centre
Auckland 1142
New Zealand.