Sport and Recreation's response to COVID-19
Stay up to date with everything going on with Sport and Rec in light of COVID-19.
Update - Monday 23 March
Due to the Governments recent announcement on COVID-19, the country now stands at alert level 3. This means that all public venues must close, which includes the Rec Centre.
As of today, the Rec Centre and Sports Courts will be temporarily closed and all memberships will be suspended. We will be in touch with our members to explain what this means for them.
The Sport and Rec team are closely monitoring coronavirus and are taking precautionary measures to help reduce health risks when using all facilities.
It is important to note that sweat cannot transmit the virus, therefore the risk of spreading or catching the virus when using our facilities is no different to any other social environments. Because there is still some risk involved, the Sport and Rec team are keeping up to date with advice from the New Zealand Government and the Ministry of Health to help keep our members and staff safe and healthy.
Precautionary measures we are taking
- We have removed and deactivated a small amount of equipment on the gym floor to allow for the 1.5m personal distancing restrictions.
- We are now tracking user numbers to ensure we do not go over 100 users in one area of the gym.
- 1.5m distance between members in all group fitness classes will be enforced.
- We have reduced the capacity in our group fitness studios to allow for personal distancing.
- We have increased our sanitising stations.Single use disposable wipes are now available.
- Enforced a strict ‘no towel, no workout policy’.
- Purchased more towels to keep up with the demand and increased our laundering of used towels.
- Encouraging all who go into a group fitness class to clean equipment before and after use.
- We have reconfigured our circuit style classes to minimise station sharing, participants now have a single station for the class duration.
- Increased our facility cleaning throughout the day, including all weight and cardio machines/ equipment.
- Removed some bikes within the Bike Studio to create more proximity between bikes for physical distancing.
Ways you can stay healthy when using our facilities
We are doing everything we can to ensure our facilities are extra clean, but we need your help too. We have put together some basic tips to help keep you all fit and healthy while using our facilities.
It is important to stay fit and healthy more than ever right now, which is why we are working on delivering classes and programmes remotely. We aim to have our group fitness classes available online shortly, so no matter where you are, you can still stay active. More information to come.