Sport and Recreation's response to COVID-19
Stay up to date with everything going on with Sport and Rec in light of Covid-19.
Update - Tuesday 9 June
As of Tuesday 9 June, New Zealand is in Alert Level 1, which now means gyms are able to resume our normal operations.
The health and safety of our staff and members is our top priority so please ensure you read an understand our following protocols prior to entering the facility.
Alert Level 1 at the Rec Centre
- Everyone must carry their membership cards to swipe into the facility as normal. You will also be required to swipe out to help us with contact tracing.
- We are encouraging members to continue to use the Government contact tracing solution.
- Showers and changing rooms are now open again for member use.
- Equipment has been returned to its original location with all gear now available for use again.
- Our opening hours are now 6am - 9pm weekdays and 8am - 3pm weekends.
- 'No towel, no workout' policy will continue to be enforced.
- Our team will still be carrying out deep cleans of the facility on a daily basis.
- There is now no limit to the numbers in our group fitness classes.
- We will still have an increased number of sanitising stations for member use.
We are doing everything we can to ensure our facility is complying with the Governments Level 1 guidelines, but we need your help too. We have put together some basic tips to help keep you all fit and healthy while using our facilities.
Your guide to Group Fitness
Good news, Alert Level 1 means our class capacity restrictions are now lifted which is an exciting milestone.
We understand that not everyone will be back on campus so we will still continue to run a number of classes virtually.
From Monday 15 June bookings will no longer be required. While the booking function has been useful we wish to take some time to find an app that has increased functionality to service our needs wider.
What does this mean for my Rec Centre membership?
From Friday 15 May all memberships will automatically be re-activated. This includes all paid in full and direct debit memberships.
Due to our 8 week Covid-19 closure, all paid in full Rec Centre memberships will be credited with time. This means that your membership expiry date will automatically be extended by 8 weeks.
Those of you with direct debit memberships, these will be re-activated immediately with payments resuming Tuesday 26 May in line with our fortnightly direct debit run.
If you have any further questions around your membership, or do not wish to restart your direct debit payments just yet, please email Zac.
Prior to Covid-19, we were planning to shut the doors to our Symonds Street facility at the end of Semester One. Due to Covid-19 campus closures, we have decided to close the courts early so we can commence soft demolition on the existing building to make way for the new Recreation and Wellness Centre. Therefore, the Sports courts located at 17 Symonds Street are permanently closed.
Construction on the interim Sports Centre has been resumed on Wynyard Street, which is due to open in Semester Two.
What happens to online programmes and services?
Our team has been working hard on delivering a variety of online programmes and services. It has been great to see many people joining us online from all over the world!
Even though our Rec Centre is open, we will still be maintaining our online programmes and services. We will continue to have online live group fitness classes and we are excited to continue to grow our online reach so you can keep fit with us no matter where you are! In the coming weeks our online services will transition from free to being member only paid services.