Requirements for Science students
The Faculty of Science Academic Committee has approved the requirements below for students seeking approval for an international exchange.
- You must be able to demonstrate academic merit by achieving a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.0 across your semesters studied at the University of Auckland, which includes current and past programme enrolment.
- We recommend students go on exchange during their second year of study, but it's also possible in your third year.
- You must be enrolled in a minimum of 45 points at the University of Auckland and an equivalent full-time course load at the host university.
- You may be awarded up to 75 points of credit toward your degree in each semester of study. This credit only applies when taken at an Exchange Partner University or equivalent institution, as approved by the Associate Dean Academic or nominee.
- By undertaking an exchange programme, you will be eligible for a 15-point exemption from General Education without credit. This exemption means you still need to pass these 15 points for your degree, but they do not need to be from General Education courses. This exemption only applies for students who are enrolled in and pass a standard full-time course load, equivalent to 50 points or more, at the host university, with a minimum of 45 points being credited back to the University of Auckland. Please see General Education exemption.
360 International course approval steps
- Visit the Science Student Centre and a Student Adviser will help you map out a degree planner, to determine which courses are best for you to complete overseas.
- Research course offerings and print detailed course outlines from the foreign institution.
- Download and fill out the Course Approval form, which is available from 360 International under supporting documentation.
- Make appointments to meet with Undergraduate Advisers in each department to review your course outlines, determine equivalency and receive departmental approval.
- Submit your completed Course Approval form to the Science Student Centre for faculty approval. If you are enrolled in a conjoint degree and taking courses on both sides during the exchange, you will need approval from both faculties. Submit a separate course approval form to each faculty.
- Faculty will notify you by email when the Course Approval form has been approved. You may also collect the original form from the Science Student Centre.
- Submit the approved Course Approval form to 360 International by email or bring it to the 360 International team during office hours. Please ensure you have a copy for your own records.
- If you are abroad on exchange and have made changes to your courses that you would like to credit back, but you have not sought prior approval, please discuss this with your department adviser as soon as possible. You will need to complete another course approval form for any new courses and submit the completed form to 360 International by email.