The University of Auckland competition is structured in heats with a University Final held on the Thursday evening after the heats.
Two winners are announced at the Finals - one doctoral winner and a masters winner.
The doctoral winner will participate at The University of Queensland, Brisbane in the Asia/Pacific Final competition - 2017 dates to be confirmed.
The masters winner will compete in the second 3MT® Masters Inter-University Challenge - 2017 dates to be confirmed.
The presentations will be judged by a panel of three. The judges will comment on the quality of the presentations at the Heats but no feedback will be given during the finals. Written feedback can be requested after the event from the organiser.
The entrants will be judged on the following criteria.
Comprehension and content
- Did the presentation provide an understanding of the background to the research question being addressed and its significance?
- Did the presentation clearly describe the key results of the research including conclusions and outcomes?
- Did the presentation follow a clear and logical sequence?
- Was the thesis topic, key results and research significance and outcomes communicated in language appropriate to a non-specialist audience?
- Did the speaker avoid scientific jargon, explain terminology and provide adequate background information to illustrate points?
- Did the presenter spend adequate time on each element of their presentation – or did they elaborate for too long on one aspect or was the presentation rushed?
Engagement and communication
- Did the oration make the audience want to know more?
- Was the presenter careful not to trivialise or generalise their research?
- Did the presenter convey enthusiasm for their research?
- Did the presenter capture and maintain their audience’s attention?
- Did the speaker have sufficient stage presence, eye contact and vocal range; maintain a steady pace, and have a confident stance?
- Did the PowerPoint slide enhance the presentation – was it clear, legible, and concise?
Grand final judges 2017
The 3 Minute Thesis Final judges for 2017 are to be confirmed.