Postgraduate research funding

You can seek funding for your research projects through a variety of avenues besides the PReSS account.

University-sponsored research funding: Speak to your postgraduate adviser or research supervisor.

Externally-sponsored research funding: This is managed according to the type of funding agency.

  • Commercial research is administered by UniServices Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the University.
  • Public domain research is administered by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), supported by the Research Committee and the Research Office.

Commercial research

Research is deemed commercial if it is funded by a sponsor who is the end user of the results, and who expects sole access to the results for a defined period of time.
Examples include companies, government departments and Crown Research Institutes.

More information

UniServices House
70 Symonds Street
Phone: +64 9 373 7522
Fax: +64 9 373 7412

Public domain research

All other research is considered to be in the public domain, and is defined as such.
Examples include the Ministry of Research, Science and Technology, and most foundations, trusts, and charities.

More information

Research Office
Level 10
49 Symonds Street

Current funding rounds

You can download coversheets for research funding applications:

Major external funding bodies