Google Changes - Current Students
Guidance on the Google GSuite changes for current students
If you also happen to be a casual staff member then please check the Google Changes - Staff page instead of these details
What is changing?
- From 1st October 2023 the storage space you have allocated in your University Google Drive will drop to 1GB to allow sufficient space to collaborate on key files created in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides
- Your University Google Drive and its contents will be removed when you leave the University - there is no ongoing access to Google Drive, Google Photos, Docs, Sheets, Slides etc.
What is not changing?
- You will continue to have your 1TB Microsoft OneDrive while you are enrolled at the University or affiliated
- You will continue to have your @aucklanduni.ac.nz student email address, including when you leave the University
What do I need to do?
- Check how much space you are using. You just need to look at the Google Drive and Google Photos figures and check they add up to less than 1GB. If it says MB then you are under 1GB and will be unaffected by these changes. If it says TB then you are using a very large amount of storage.
- If you are above 1GB in Google Drive and Photos combined, or close to it, then you will need to tidy up your Google Drive
- If you still have more than 1GB after a tidy up then you will need to transfer off any files (including Google Photos, Google Docs, Sheets and Slides) to reduce your storage to 1GB. Move from the University Google Drive.
When do I need to have this done by?
You will need to have reduced your used space in Google Drive and Photos to 1GB before 1st October 2023.
Why have I received an email with different dates and limits?
Your Google Drive limit might be reduced down to below the required 1GB maximum over a period of time. If you are in this situation, you will receive specific communications stating the stepped limits and that dates that you need to meet these limits by.
We will also focus targeted communications and storage limits on those using the largest storage earlier in 2022 to ensure we meet the deadline.
How do I see how much storage I am using?
Click this link for your own Google Storage information. Note that the 1GB limit will be applied to Google Drive and Google Photos. We will communicate to large users of Google Mail, but unless we communicate directly with you there will be no change needed to your use of Google Mail.
How do I do transfer my files?
What happens when I leave the University?
Will I still have access to my University Google Drive files when I leave?
Starting from 1st December, 2022 we will be putting in a process to block access to Google Drive files once you have left the University. Your files will then be automatically deleted, but this will occur at least 3 months afterwards.
Will I still have access to my University Microsoft OneDrive when I leave?
No. You lose access to all University storage services, including Microsoft 365 and the University-provided OneDrive once you leave the University.
What happens if I come back to the University?
You will get a new blank 1GB Google Drive and empty 1TB OneDrive. You will have lost the contents of both storage services in the meantime, so it's important that you have transferred any files off both services before you leave.
What if my question isn't answered above?
Check the Google Changes FAQ page