Software for students
There is a range of software and applications available to help you with your studies at the University of Auckland.
Below is a selection of the wide range of applications and software that you can use as part of your studies on campus or at home.
An online service that gives you access to software applications from any device at any time. Get started with FlexIT today.
Microsoft 365 apps
Applications to empower study, research, and teamwork during your time at university. Check out Microsoft 365 apps for a complete learning experience.
- Write your assignments in Word
- Compose spreadsheets using Excel
- Prepare slideshows on PowerPoint
- Take notes with OneNote
- Collaborate with peers using Teams
- Store and save documents on OneDrive
Grammarly Premium is a cloud-based software that can support you with your writing. It is free for University of Auckland students and provides:
- A grammar checker
- A contextual spelling checker
- A vocabulary enhancer
To get your free Grammarly Premium subscription, sign up using your University of Auckland email.
Google Workspace is your bundle of communication, productivity and storage tools for collaboration. Using Google Workspace, you can:
- Stay up-to-date with your emails via Gmail
- Manage your weekly schedule with Calendar
- Work on team projects on Docs
- Develop data tables with Sheets
- Create presentations together with Slides
There are a range of tools that can help you with citations, footnoting, referencing and bibliographies. Finding the tool which works best for you can take time, but the Learning Essentials Referencing guide can help. A few options you might consider include:
- RefWorks - a web-based tool for storing and managing bibliographic references
- Mendeley - free web and desktop-based reference management software which runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, and other browsers
- Zotero - free, open-source web and desktop-based reference management software which runs on Windows, Mac and Linux
- EndNote - web and desktop-based reference management software which runs on Windows and Mac across all browsers. EndNote is only available for postgraduate students. The EndNote licence costs $7 for home use.
Other software which is not included on FlexIT can be purchased or downloaded from OnTheHub. Certain software is accessible only to students enrolled in specific courses.
Support accessing software
If you need help downloading, installing or accessing an application or piece of software for use with your studies, visit the friendly team at the Student IT Hub for guidance.
You can also attend a range of introductory workshops which cover the core suite of applications that all students use during their studies.
For course-specific software, software tutorials or detailed software functionality enquiries please use the guides and resources which have been made available to you as part of your studies. You can also search online for specific instructions that might be provided by the software owner.