Check your eligibility

Basic requirements

You must be:

  • a research masters student or doctoral candidate (including PhD) enrolled at an institution other than the University of Auckland;
  • academically successful at your home institution;
  • able to visit the University of Auckland for research according to the rules of your programme at your home institution.

You will need:

  • a research host at the University of Auckland;
  • approval from your home institution;
  • a valid visa and 3rd party liability insurance covering the duration of your trip.

Partner vs non-partner institutions

Partner universities

If you are enrolled at a university with which we have a partnership agreement, there will be no charge for your visit and you will get a comparable research experience and access to facilities and resources as our enrolled students.

If your home institution is part of the Universitas 21 (U21), Worldwide Universities Network (WUN) or Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU), it is likely that we have an existing agreement.

Check the network membership lists:

We also have existing agreements with some country-specific scholarship providers or programmes, for example the China Scholarship Council (CSC).

Many University of Auckland faculties, schools or departments have their own agreements with departments in other universities. Speak to your home university to find out more.

Non-partner universities

If your institution doesn’t have an existing agreement with us, we are still happy for you to visit us for research. We will endeavour to give you a similar research experience to our enrolled students, but we can’t guarantee it. You may have limited access to resources or facilities, or your host department may elect to charge a fee for hosting your visit.

For more information, please speak to your potential research host.

What next?

Ready for the next step? Click the button below to find out how to find a University of Auckland researcher to host your visit.

Alternatively, you can go back to the main page by following this link: Visit us for a postgraduate research collaboration