While on exchange

Keep these things in mind while you're on exchange.

Academic matters

It is your responsibility to be organised and have backup plans. If you are unable to get into the courses that your faculty had approved prior to exchange, find out why.

  • If it is regarding your academic background or course capacity, try negotiating and "talk" your way into the course. Take in a recent academic transcript and your Auckland course outlines to show that you have taken the equivalent prerequisites.
  • If the course is no longer being offered or you cannot get into the class, contact your department/faculty immediately to commence the course approval process again.
  • The Course Approval form can be found under supporting documentation.

Seeking faculty approval for new courses once on exchange

  • Collect as much information as possible about the new course, including contact hours, methods of assessment, a list of topics covered and, importantly, credit point value.
  • Email the course information to your faculty student centre. Keep a copy of all your correspondence with your department/faculty regarding course approvals.
  • Submit your completed course approval form by email.
  • Although you may already be enrolled in a course you wish to get approval for, please note approval is at the faculty's discretion. As the course approval is a long process, please be patient and seek approval as soon as possible.


It is your responsibility to ensure that your official transcript will be sent to 360 International. Check with your host university what the process is. This is important especially if you're on exchange in your final semester and are intending to graduate upon returning to Auckland.

Changing the length of your exchange

Cutting short your exchange

If personal circumstances cause you to cut short your exchange in the middle of a term/semester, please notify your host university and immediately email 360 International. We may be able to negotiate alternative arrangements for you regarding things like assessment.

Extending your exchange

You've applied for one semester and now you want to stay for two. Extensions may be possible, but are not guaranteed.

  • Two semesters is the maximum transferable credit to an Auckland degree for exchange.
  • Check with immigration services in your host country that you can extend your visa and the procedure, costs and timeframe for doing this.
  • To request an extension, email 360 International. We will then liaise with your faculty and host university to request permission to extend.
  • You'll need to get approval for the courses you plan to take for your second semester.

There are deadlines for these procedures. Check that your application can be arranged in time or that an extension can be granted to allow the processes to be completed. You'll receive notification from 360 International or your host university regarding the outcome of your extension request.

Shortening your exchange

If you wish to reduce your exchange from a year (two semesters) to one semester, email 360 International. Once acknowledged, confirm this change with your faculty. It is also important to notify your host institution directly. A reduction in your exchange length may have implications for your credit transfer if any overseas subjects are year-long or assessed overseas after you plan to return.