Undergraduate study in Chinese

What you can study in Chinese

In Chinese language courses you will learn conversational Chinese (Mandarin) and develop reading ability. We emphasise speaking and listening skills. You will also learn to read and write Chinese, as well as basic translation.

Your language learning will be embedded in rich cultural contexts. To complement your Chinese language courses, you can study Chinese culture, film, media, politics, history and society. These courses are taught in English.

We strongly encourage you to take advantage of the links between the University of Auckland and universities in Chinese-speaking locations. We also offer short-term language and culture study tours.

Find out which Chinese language courses you should enrol in.

Structuring your major in Chinese

  • You can take a major in Chinese as one of the two components of your double major for a BA. 
  • You will need to pass at least 120 points (eight courses) towards each of your majors, including at least 45 points (three courses) at Stage III.

Taking a Module in Chinese

If you would like to study Chinese alongside your two BA majors, you can complete a Module.

A Module is an optional grouping of three courses on a particular theme which enables you to add extra value to your Bachelor of Arts.

Take a look at Modules.


Explore the undergraduate courses you can take as part of a major in Chinese. You would normally take Stage I courses in your first year, Stage II in your second and Stage III in your third.

Required courses

You must pass the following courses as part of the Chinese major:

  • ASIAN 100, CHINESE 130
  • One course from CHINESE 301, 302, 306
  • Two courses from ASIAN 200, 204, CHINESE 203, HISTORY 213, 225, POLITICS 211, 254
  • One course from ASIAN 302, 303, 304, CHINESE 303, 339, HISTORY 313, 335

Enrolling in Chinese language courses for the first time as a beginner

If you have no or limited knowledge of Chinese, please enrol in CHINESE 100 or CHINESE 100G. 

You will be required to complete a Language Proficiency Declaration when enrolling in any beginner language acquisition course. The Language Declaration is available to you in your CANVAS Course page under assignments.  

If you do not complete the Language Proficiency Declaration you may be dropped from the course and will not be able to access any course content in the course.

Read more about first time language course enrolment.

Scholarships and awards

Help and advice

Our friendly staff will provide you with advice on planning your degree and enrolling in your courses at Student Hubs.

If you would like to find out more about studying Chinese, you can contact our Undergraduate Adviser.