Postgraduate study in Food Engineering

What can you study in Food Engineering?

Our Master of Engineering Studies in Food Engineering covers both the theoretical and practical sides of the industry. In addition to lectures, this programme includes visits to local food processing plants, and its syllabus prompts you to complete common industry tasks, such as preparing reports, ensuring that you’ll be ready to take on the real world upon graduation. We cover topics that are essential to the field, including:

  • Engineering principles in food process engineering
  • Food safety technologies, and operational methodologies including mathematical models and systems
  • Product and process design
  • Nutritional composition
  • Preservation and packaging
  • Health and safety practices
  • Technical and regulatory standards  

Important requirements for international students

  • All international applicants should ensure that they meet all the programme’s entry requirements. You should only proceed with your application if your GPA matches or exceeds the requirements for your country listed in the engineering programme of your choice. Please do not apply if your GPA is below the minimum entry requirements, but consider the alternative study options that may be offered as a pathway into your preferred programme.
  • You are strongly advised to consider visa application times. Please be aware of the student visa processing times in your home economy and submit the documentation needed well ahead of the Faculty of Engineering's programme application deadlines. For processing times, contact the New Zealand High Commission/Embassy or your education agent.
  • Applicants applying for their second masters degree need to be aware that additional assessment requirements will take extra time. The Faculty of Engineering is required to assess your previous masters degree courses to ensure that they do not overlap with your selected courses in the University of Auckland programme that you have expressed interest in. You must therefore allow more time for your application to be processed, and be aware that further documentations may be required. Submit your application well in advance of the deadline if this is your situation, as you may also need to take into account visa application times.

Structuring your Master of Engineering Studies in Food Engineering

The MEngSt in Food Engineering is offered as either a research or taught masters. The former involves the completion of two courses and a research portfolio, while the latter is more coursework-focused, requiring you to take four courses and a research project.

Research (120 points)

The following are compulsory courses needed to complete a 120-point, research-based programme:

  • Semesters One and Two: CHEMMAT 776 A&B Research portfolio or 777 A&B Research Portfolio (90 points)
  • Semester One: CHEMMAT 772 Advanced Food Process Engineering (15 points)
  • Semester Two: CHEMMAT 773 Food Process Systems Engineering (15 points)

Taught (120 points)


  • Semesters One and Two: CHEMMAT 774 or 775 A&B Research Project (60 points)
  • Semester One: CHEMMAT 772 Advanced Food Process Engineering (15 points)
  • Semester Two: CHEMMAT 773 Food Process Systems Engineering (15 points)

Electives (choose two/30 points from the following list):

  • Semesters One and Two: FOODSCI 709 A&B Selected Topics in Food Science and Technology (15 points)
  • Semester One
    • CHEMMAT 756 Food Process Engineering (15 points)
    • CHEMMAT 772 Advanced Food Process Engineering (15 points)
    • FOODSCI 703 Food Processing (15 points)
    • FOODSCI 706 Food Safety (15 points)
    • FOODSCI 707 Food Science (15 points)
  • Semester Two
    • CHEMMAT 757 Engineering Biotechnology (15 points)
    • CHEMMAT 773 Food Process Systems Engineering (15 points)
    • FOODSCI 708 Advanced Food Science (15 points)

Help and advice

For course descriptions, refer to the University of Auckland Calendar.

For general student enquiries, please contact the Engineering Student Centre. If you would like further academic information, you can contact a postgraduate adviser.