Doctoral study in Italian
Why study with us?
As a doctoral candidate, you'll benefit from: financial support for research expenses through PReSS funding; high-calibre supervision practices; and the networks and expertise of our world-class academic researchers.
We welcome PhD research proposals in areas such as:
- Italian literature: Middle Ages, Renaissance, modern, contemporary
- Contemporary Italian film and female directors
- Renaissance, modern and contemporary Italian theatre
- Italian literary and technical translation, film subtitling
- Cultural, postcolonial and migration studies
- Feminism and gender studies
- Italian popular culture: romance, crime, adventure stories, science fiction, comic books and graphic novels
You can study with internationally renowned staff who specialise in key areas of Italian cultural studies.
Past research topics
- "Italian pioneers: Colonial propaganda and geographic explorations" | Supervised by Dr Franco Manai and Associate Professor Simon Kitson
- "Reading the genre codes in Giorgio Scerbanenco's hybridised romanzi rosa" | Supervised by Dr Franco Manai and Professor Jose Colmeiro
- "Italo Calvino and the Pygmalion paradigm: Fashioning the feminine in I nostri antenati and Gli amori difficili" | Supervised by Professor Bernadette Luciano and Dr Hilary Chung
- "Translation of the sicilianità in the fictional languages of Giovanni Verga and Andrea Camilleri" | Supervised by Professor Bernadette Luciano
Scholarships and awards
There are several scholarships you may be eligible for when you decide to pursue your PhD in Italian:
Help and advice
For help with enrolling in your PhD you can contact the Arts Students' Centre.
If you would like to discuss your plans for your doctoral research you can contact our PhD Adviser.