Prior tertiary study
You can transfer from:
- Another tertiary institution
- Another University of Auckland qualification
If you’re an applicant who has studied overseas, please note your previous study must be approved by the University for admission. To be considered, you must:
- Have started or completed tertiary study outside New Zealand
- Want to study an undergraduate-level programme with the University
To meet University Entrance, you typically need to have completed one of the following:
- One semester of successful* bachelor degree study from a New Zealand tertiary institution
- One year of successful* study as part of an acceptable sub-degree qualification from a New Zealand tertiary institution
- One year successful* bachelor-degree level study at a recognised university (or similar institution) overseas
*Successful means that you have achieved passing grades for your study in this period of time.
Completed high school?
If you have finished secondary school you may already meet the minimum acceptable equivalents of the University Entrance Standard. For more information please see
Studied at another tertiary institution?
If you are applying for admission based on prior tertiary study you must meet:
- Admission requirements
- Programme requirements
- English language requirements
English language requirements are different for Undergraduate and Postgraduate study. For more information, please visit:
To see the entry requirements for your intended programme(s), visit Find a study option.
Apply for transfer of credit
Academic English Language Requirement
You must meet the Academic English Language Requirement if you are:
- A domestic undergraduate applicant
- An international undergraduate applicant who has completed study at another New Zealand tertiary institution
This is in addition to meeting any University Entrance literacy requirements.
If you do not meet your Academic English Language Requirement upon entry, you will need to complete an AELR approved course within the first 12 months of your studies. For more information, please see:
Don't meet University Entrance?
If you don’t meet University Entrance, you may consider doing a preparation or foundation programme. There are several pathways available that can help you get into to your chosen undergraduate programmes.
For more information please see Preparation and foundation programmes.
You may wish to consider a non-University of Auckalnd foundation programme to meet University Entrance.
- Within Auckland: 09 923 5025
- Outside Auckland: 0800 61 62 63
- From overseas: +64 9 373 7513