International students

Information about visa, health insurance, accommodation, and English-language requirements.

Scholarship offers will be made in September. You should apply for visas, accommodation and insurance arrangement as soon as you receive your offer of a scholarship.

Visas and immigration

You must apply for your visa as soon as you receive your scholarship offer to allow sufficient time for your visa application to be processed.

You will need to apply for a General Visitor Visa from Immigration New Zealand. If you are from a visa waiver country, you can apply for an NZeTA.

Include the following in your visa application (It is advisable to carry these documents during travel in case they are requested at the border):

·       The Scholarship offer

·       The visa support letter attached to your Scholarship offer email

 You will need to bring your passport and a copy of your eVisa approval letter (if applicable) to the Student Hub when you arrive in New Zealand.


Conveniently located in the heart of Auckland City and close to the University, our University residences offer discounted accommodation over the summer.

Accommodation Summer Stays

Health and travel insurance

An approved insurance policy is a condition of enrolment. Holders of all visa types are required to have approved insurance for the duration of their programme. A student visa holder is also required to have approved health and travel insurance for the duration of their visa or until they depart New Zealand, whichever comes first.

You are automatically covered by and charged for the Studentsafe-University policy when enrolment is completed. Insurance is compulsory and you must pay this fee unless the University approves the use of an alternative insurance provider.

For information on pre-existing conditions, insurance policies, forms, terms and conditions for Studentsafe Inbound policy please visit

A student’s enrolment cannot continue in the event of their insurance cover being declined.

English-language requirements

English proficiency documents / certificates are not required for Summer Research Scholarships.