Nutrition and Metabolism
Nutrition is a key determinant of health. This pathway will give you the foundations for understanding the role of nutrients in metabolic regulation, and the influence of the genome on nutrition.
Structuring your pathway
If you choose to take this pathway you must complete the following courses plus the Biomedical Science capstone course, BIOMED 399:
Year 1 compulsory core courses
- 90 points:
- 15 points:
- Elective course (for entry to Medicine (MBChB), Bachelor of Pharmacy and Bachelor of Medical Imaging (Honours) you must use POPLHLTH 111 Population Health as your elective. Other students may choose to take STATS 101 Introduction to Statistics, or STATS 108 Statistics for Commerce or an alternative elective course).
- 15 points:
- General Education course approved for this programme*
Year 2 onwards
- 90 points from:
- 45 points:
- 15 points from:
- BIOSCI 347 Environmental Microbiology and Biotechnology
- BIOSCI 348 Food and Industrial Microbiology
- BIOSCI 349 Biomedical Microbiology
- BIOSCI 350 Protein Structure and Function
- BIOSCI 351 Molecular Genetics
- BIOSCI 353 Molecular and Cellular Regulation
- BIOSCI 355 Genomics and Genome Biology
- BIOSCI 356 Developmental Biology and Cancer
- BIOSCI 358 Nutritional Science
- MEDIMAGE 300 Medical Imaging for Biomedical Science
- MEDIMAGE 302 Sectional Imaging Anatomy and Pathology
- MEDSCI 300 Analytical Anatomy and Visualisation
- MEDSCI 301 Molecular Basis of Disease
- MEDSCI 302 Cancer Biology
- MEDSCI 309 Biophysics of Nerve and Muscle
- MEDSCI 311 Cardiovascular Biology
- MEDSCI 312 Endocrinology of Growth and Metabolism
- MEDSCI 313 Reproductive Biology
- MEDSCI 314 Immunology
- MEDSCI 315 Nutrition, Diet and Gene Interactions
- MEDSCI 316 Sensory Neuroscience: From Molecules to Disease
- MEDSCI 317 Integrative Neuroscience: From Fetus to Adult
- MEDSCI 318 Pharmacokinetics and Drug Toxicity
- MEDSCI 319 Molecular Pharmacology
- MEDSCI 320 Pharmacology of the Brain and Body
- 15 points:
*Biomedical Science students can only take General Education courses from Schedule O and EMHSS.
You can use our degree planners to help you plan the courses you need to take for your BSc. To find the most up to date Biomedical Science (Nurtition and Metabolism pathway) degree planner, please to go the Science degree planners page.
Enrol in a pathway
After your first year you can keep your Biomedical Science specialisation general, or you can enrol in a pathway using the Choose your pathway form.
Other Biomedical Science pathways
Nutrition and Metabolism not your thing? You can choose to keep your Biomedical Science specialisation general, or you can choose a different pathway.
Browse our other Biomedical Science pathways to find one that matches your interests:
Help and advice
Visit your hubs for help and advice on any aspect of your studies and life at University.
The Student Hubs are your physical gateway to Waipapa Taumata Rau | the University of Auckland.
The Student Hubs services are available seven days a week at the City, Grafton, Epsom and Tai Tonga campuses and six days a week at Tai Tokerau, with friendly staff available to provide you with advice on any aspect of your studies and life at the University.