Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Chemistry from 2019
Your BSc programme will consist of a number of courses worth 15 points each, totalling 360 points. For your Chemistry major you must complete the following courses plus the Chemistry capstone course, CHEM 399.
15 points from:
- MATHS 108 General Mathematics 1
- MATHS 110 Mathematics for Science
- MATHS 130 Calculus*
- PHYSICS 120 Advancing Physics 1
- CHEM 251 Structure and Spectroscopy*
- CHEM 252 Properties and Analysis of Matter*
- CHEM 253 Making Molecules: Synthesis and Isolation*
- CHEM 351 Chemicals Big and Small: Nano-material to Bio-macromolecules*
30 points from:
- CHEM 310 Structural Chemistry and Spectroscopy
- CHEM 320 Design and Reactivity of Inorganic Compounds
- CHEM 330 Contemporary Organic Chemistry
- CHEM 340 Advanced Analytical Chemistry
- CHEM 360 Contemporary Green Chemistry
- CHEM 380 Materials Chemistry
- CHEM 390 Medicinal Chemistry
*subject to approval for 2019
Doing a double major with Chemistry
If you choose to do a double major in your BSc, we recommend the following subjects to complement Chemistry: Anthropological Science, Biological Sciences, Earth Sciences, Environmental Science, Geography, Mathematics and Statistics.
Preparing for your Chemistry major
Some students will feel more prepared for our Chemistry courses if they have already studied certain subjects in high school.
Find out which school subjects will help you feel prepared by reading our Subject guide for school students.
Help and advice
For further information and advice, please contact the Science Student Centre.
Science Student Centre
Room G20, Level G
(beside the entrance to the Large Chemistry Lecture Theatre)
23 Symonds Street