Insurance at the University of Auckland

All international students must have health and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. These guidelines apply to international students only.

Health and travel insurance overview

Why do I need insurance?

Health and travel insurance is important to avoid unwanted, high costs relating to medical care and life events while studying abroad.

The New Zealand government’s Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 requires all international students to have appropriate health and travel insurance during their period of study.

Read more about the Code of Practice.

The University of Auckland requires all enrolled international students (including doctoral students) to have approved health and travel insurance for the duration of enrolment (regardless of the visa type).

A student visa holder is also required to have approved health and travel insurance for the length of visa or until they depart New Zealand, whichever comes first.

How do I get insurance cover and pay for it?

You are automatically registered under the Studentsafe Inbound University policy by Allianz Partners when you accept your offer of admission. This is the University’s preferred insurance policy and provider. You do not need to apply for this insurance plan.

When your enrolment is completed your policy is activated. The insurance charge will be added to your tuition fees account within 48 hours.

You must pay this fee by the first day of semester/quarter or programme start date unless the University approves the use of an alternative insurance policy. It is your responsibility to check and ensure you pay for your insurance fees on time. If you are not charged for insurance fees within 48 hours after you first enrol, please email

Individual insurance certificates will be emailed to your University email account week four of semester/quarter or doctoral programme start date. If you need confirmation of insurance prior to this, download the Studentsafe Inbound Group Certificate below.

Insurance Policy Details:

  • Policy Number: University of Auckland student ID number
  • Policy Name/type: Studentsafe Inbound University
  • Insurance Company: Allianz Partners

International health and travel insurance fees

Find out more information about how much insurance costs under Studentsafe Inbound University policy.

Useful websites

Frequently asked questions

Read the Studentsafe list of Frequently Asked Questions.
PhD students should also download and read the doctoral FAQs below:

Contact information

Allianz Studentsafe-University Help Desk

Phone: +64 9 488 1638
Tollfree: 0800 486 004
Phone (worldwide): +64 9 486 6868 (reverse charge call through operator)

Customer service: